• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch pedal bushing..

Kim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A few weeks ago my Clutch pedal started acting crazy. It wasn't releasing all the way and making it hard to shift. When I finally was able to properly investigate the problem, I caught a lucky break because the bushing connecting the pedal to the pushrod literally fell apart and landed on the floorboard right before my eyes! It seemed an easy enough fix; skip on down to O'reilly's and get the Dorman bushing they had in stock, snap it together and go. Well...
The bushing works great when it stays attached, but it likes to partially slip back off the nub as if it never really snapped into place. I assembled it correctly, didn't break the tabs on the new one....but it doesn't seem to "snap" on and stay there. Full disclosure: I put a very small dab of lithium grease into the socket part before installing because I figured a high-cycling wear item would benefit from that. I don't think it's the problem, but again...full disclosure. I've never had troubles with any of the Dorman parts I've ever used in the past. Is the Dorman part clearly an inferior replacement to the OE one in this case? Did I F it up with my good intention? Will the Cubbies get another World Series win in my lifetime? :LOL:
Thanks!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I am surprised you haven't had trouble with Dorman parts before this. It's usually 50-50, 50% of the time their parts do work, the other 50% you have to do some modification to make them work.

Can you add a piece of wire or a carefully placed wire tie to make it work? Possibly clean off the grease and add a little bit of superglue to make it stay?

Reactions: Kim

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I ran into this on my F-150. Both with a Dorman and with a Motorcraft. I got mad, trimmed the little clips off and stuck a big hairpin clip on there in the groove for the clips. There may or may not be a better solution.

Kim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I ran into this on my F-150. Both with a Dorman and with a Motorcraft. I got mad, trimmed the little clips off and stuck a big hairpin clip on there in the groove for the clips. There may or may not be a better solution.
Now that is interesting. I've been thinking along a similar tactic of drilling a hole for a pin, but it's so difficult to do any real work up in there. It might just be as easy as you described.

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
You can still get the motorcraft part and it has worked fine when I replaced it. Its like $3 its #6C3Z-7A581-A

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Now that is interesting. I've been thinking along a similar tactic of drilling a hole for a pin, but it's so difficult to do any real work up in there. It might just be as easy as you described.
I was so mad because I was going somewhere and didn’t really have time to waste. It popped off going down the road. I rummaged in the toolbox and came up with a spare clip and said eff it, it should stay on now. That was a good like 6-8 years ago and I largely forgot about it.

Kim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well, it just may have worked itself in like the way it's supposed to be. No issues whatsoever this whole week of daily driver use. Gotta love that!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals