• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch Master Cylinder

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Man, I just can't win can I. Coming home from the Patriots game on Sunday my clutch master cylinder decides to pop out of the pedal bracket (98 Rangers use an MC that clicks into the pedal bracket instead of bolting to the firewall).

So I popped it back it, and it keeps twisting and unlocking out of place, as if the little divots bored into the bracket aren't enough to hold the MC in place. You're supposed to put in the MC in, and turn it 45 degrees so that the corners of the square flange on the MC lock into the divots on the bracket.

So, I mangaged to drill through the pedal bracket and through the MC backing plate and I put a bolt through it. Seems to work well. However, I'm confused what is causing my MC to unlock and pop out of the bracket...I'm starting to wonder if the line is not the right one and it's causing the MC to twist improperly.

Luckily I knew exactly what happened; I was leaving Gilette Stadium in rush hour traffic on a hill when it popped out. I reached under the brake booster and popped it back into place.

You guys have any ideas? Thanks.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If anyone with a 98+ Ranger could maybe grab a pic of their clutch line I'd really appreciate it.

TwoTrackMind

Reaction score
in my truck mostly, but I do hit the house in Mich
Vehicle Year
1998 et al
Make / Model
Ford/AutoZone
Engine Size
3.0L at best
Transmission
Manual
4wiw

I tried to take a pic of mine (in the rain no less), but there was no way I could see it, let alone get the camera close to it (seems the brake booster is very in the way). If you have any other clues for me to help you with, Id be more than willing to try.

I thought Id seen all the problems you could have with clutches but yours is new to me! I solved most of my nightmares by replacing everything above the transmission (well, the shop guy did it) then it worked good until the slave cyl. began leaking again. I found out then that particular shop went out of business (probably from replacing that s*$b&# MC!).

Anywayz, to describe my line, it is plastic, with formed bends. Other then that, I dunno what else to say at this time. (wishing ranger had a setup like my old 'cuda, all mechanical linkage!)

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The clutch system works great, it's just the master cylinder really isn't held in by anything except the divots in the bracket that the corners of the MC lock into when you twist the MC 45 degrees. It's not very sturdy.

mat6671

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Just a thought..

Have you checked the clutch pedal mount bracket? If the bushing fails(and it can) it can throw the entire pedal assembly out of alignment......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals