• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch master cylinder leaking?

vfrf2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
A little about the truck...08, 110,000 miles. It's getting harder to get it into 1st gear when I get ready to take off. Once I get going and shifting, it's fine. If I'm at a stand still, I goes into reverse with no problems. I initially thought that the clutch hydraulic system might need to be bled, so I was getting ready to give it a try when I discovered something about the rod assembly for the master cylinder. It looks wet near inside the cab, just before it goes to the firewall. It looks like moist, like something has been leaking. It's ever so slightly wet, but doesn't seem right. I attached a pic and circled the area I'm talking about. Does it appear to be leaking, or is it normal?

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Its probably beginning to leak. Is the fluid level dropping?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It could be starting to leak... but I would think it would be wet around the boot coming through the firewall.

Have you checked the gear lube in the transmission? With the mileage it's time to change it.

vfrf2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Fluid was just slightly low, but not much. Topped off.
Trans fluid was changed a 50,000 miles. Planned to do it again at 100,000 but haven't yet. Have everything needed to do it though.
No leaking visible near the master cylinder boot at the firewall. I'm getting ready to raise it and have a look underneath at the line and the slave cylinder.

When I mentioned that it was hard to go into 1st gear, and others were fine that was because I'd already put it in 1st and then used the other gears. If I put it in neutral and release the clutch immediately and try it put it in another gear, I get resistance as if trying to put it in 1st, but it's not as intense. The way I get into to 1st most of the time is like a wiggling motion between neutral and 1st to get it in gear. Like I said, I'm not putting a ton of pressure on it to go into gear, don't want to break a shifter setup.

vfrf2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Changed the trans fluid. Mucho better! When I changed the trans fluid at 50,000 miles it wasn't acting like it is now. Maybe different brands of fluid make a difference? Not sure what I put it in it the last time, but I used Valvoline this time. Still going to bleed the clutch master cylinder, simply because routine maintenance.

vfrf2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
That was a bit premature. Still doing it, but right after I changed it everything seemed to be doing fine. I'll be bleeding next.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
What lube does your transmission call for? Did you replace it with the correct lube? These transmissions can be difficult if you don't lube them right.

As for bleeding the clutch... unless you are losing fluid or had the system open... air will never just jump into the system.

vfrf2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I replaced it with the factory-recommended Mercon V ATF. Valvoline brand.

vfrf2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I stopped by to see a friend who is an automotive technician and he confirmed what I've been thinking all along, the clutch is going to need to be replaces. I used the truck tow fairly often, but never more than the 1,500 lbs tow capacity with my 4 banger and manual trans.

So, since I'm going in...any upgrades to install to make the clutch system beefier? Not looking to tow more, but insure it's more than adequate to get the rated towing capacity around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals