• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch Issues

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello Gents, fortunately I've never had to worry about this forum before. I searched and couldn't find anything about the issue I'm having. In my '88 with an M50D, the friction point of my clutch started changing. It always used to be more or less in the middle of the clutch stroke. As I was leaving the grocery store yesterday (yes, it is the grocery getter) I let off the clutch like normal but it engaged just barely off the floor - yes I killed the engine:sad:. Anyway, I pumped the clutch and everything seemed normal again. I drove to work today and sometimes it engaged normally, sometimes right next to the floor.

I checked the fluid - fine. I held the clutch in for several minutes to see if it was leaking down and it didn't seem to.

Any ideas? It's not that easy to drive a stick smoothly when you never know when the clutch is going to grab.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
More info - when the clutch starts engaging near the floor, if I tap the clutch pedal 4-5 times, not disengaging the clutch, but just to where I feel a little pressure, it starts catching in the middle of the stroke again.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the cutch master cylinder or slave is going out, samething happened to my dads old 84. We replaced everything except that and the problem was still there and after that, worked perfectly.

Had the samething starting to happen to mine too a few months ago, turns out mine was low on fluid. Filled it up pumped it and has been good since.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Is there any fluid leaking from the slave or master? If not, then you must have gotten an air bubble or two in there.

I would bleed the system, and then look for fluid leaking.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not that I can see. The master cylinder reservoir was filled up with clean looking fluid. I'll try bleeding it, and if that doesn't work throw a master on it. I really don't want to have to pull my tranny.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals