• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch issue.....again

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok so as you guys know I replaced my clutch. I know NOTHING. A guy,maybe RonD or Uncle Gump had me buy a Luk self adjusting. Now I have seen some say they are junk(the self adjusting part)
Anyhow my clutch pedal is slowly getting back to where it disengages at the top,like it acted before I replaced it. Thoughts? I heard I might need to "reset" it? I decided to bring this issue before the experts.....

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have installed several self adjusting clutches with no problems. The last one I installed did have issues. I don't know if it was the clutch or the slave cylinder. When I first bled the slave cylinder, I got white grease like material coming out with the brake fluid. The clutch worked fine initially but slowly stared engaging near the floor and had to be pushed all the way to the floor to put in gear and shift. I bled it several times and I would get a little air at first and sometime a little of that white greasy stuff. Each time the clutch would disengage at a normal position then slowly over time start to disengage and engage near the floor again.

I recently went on a four week off road trip and bled it again before leaving. As I drove to the meeting point with the rest of the group I noticed it was disengaging near the floor again. I had planned to bleed it again while on the trip but didn't have time to do it or forgot about it. When the trip was over and started heading home I realized the clutch was disengaging and engaging in a normal position. Somehow it corrected itself. I don't know if the self adjusting clutch corrected itself of the slave somehow bled itself. I do know I am happy with it now and hope it continues to work properly.

The LUK self adjusting clutch is what Rangers come with from the factory. That is the best replacement in my opinion and not junk at all. If your clutch disengages and engages near the top, I would not be concerned as long as the clutch is not slipping (fully engaging). I would not go in a reset it unless the clutch is not fully engaging (showing signs of slipping).

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The bubbles had time.

I don't think the way you think this works is how it works .... But. ..there can be a condition present that will let air in ....in just the right circumstances.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Bobby, was that a reply to my post? If so, I am an Aerospace Engineer and do have a pretty good idea of how things work. However, that doesn't mean I know everything about how things work. Yes, I believe there could be a way to let air in the system without having low fluid in the reservoir, but I find it hard to figure out how air in the system can leave on its own without some kind of leak.

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The bubbles had time.

I don't think the way you think this works is how it works .... But. ..there can be a condition present that will let air in ....in just the right circumstances.
Bobby, was that a reply to my post? If so, I am an Aerospace Engineer and do have a pretty good idea of how things work. However, that doesn't mean I know everything about how things work. Yes, I believe there could be a way to let air in the system without having low fluid in the reservoir, but I find it hard to figure out how air in the system can leave on its own without some kind of leak.
I was wondering if that was for you for me as well. Lol

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The air bubbles will sometimes work their way up to the reservoir.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The bubbles can work their way up to the master cylinder but they get trapped there. The only way they can get to the reservoir is the turn the master cylinder upside down.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I have installed several self adjusting clutches with no problems. The last one I installed did have issues. I don't know if it was the clutch or the slave cylinder. When I first bled the slave cylinder, I got white grease like material coming out with the brake fluid. The clutch worked fine initially but slowly stared engaging near the floor and had to be pushed all the way to the floor to put in gear and shift. I bled it several times and I would get a little air at first and sometime a little of that white greasy stuff. Each time the clutch would disengage at a normal position then slowly over time start to disengage and engage near the floor again.

I recently went on a four week off road trip and bled it again before leaving. As I drove to the meeting point with the rest of the group I noticed it was disengaging near the floor again. I had planned to bleed it again while on the trip but didn't have time to do it or forgot about it. When the trip was over and started heading home I realized the clutch was disengaging and engaging in a normal position. Somehow it corrected itself. I don't know if the self adjusting clutch corrected itself of the slave somehow bled itself. I do know I am happy with it now and hope it continues to work properly.

The LUK self adjusting clutch is what Rangers come with from the factory. That is the best replacement in my opinion and not junk at all. If your clutch disengages and engages near the top, I would not be concerned as long as the clutch is not slipping (fully engaging). I would not go in a reset it unless the clutch is not fully engaging (showing signs of slipping).
Not meant as an insult....but simply reads odd to me.

Define self adjusting.

Define reset....

how you do that for the self adjusting.?.?

You went riding.....and may have been in adverse terrain or sufficient grades to move trapped air on the way to the areas travelled....which may have been at a high enough altitude itself to help with pressure for all I know..

This is a way to move air bubbles.....sometimes enough air to remove bearings right off of the crank.

4638.jpeg

This is how you can move a bubble out of a clutch master to the reservoir.

4410.jpeg

Or introduce it if it is low.

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Not meant as an insult....but simply reads odd to me.

Define self adjusting.

Define reset....

how you do that for the self adjusting.?.?

You went riding.....and may have been in adverse terrain or sufficient grades to move trapped air on the way to the areas travelled....which may have been at a high enough altitude itself to help with pressure for all I know..
I was not insulted. I was just giving you some background.

Self adjusting is a mechanism in the clutch cover that is supposed to keep the clutch pedal engagement point the same as the clutch disc wears. I can't explain how it works but you can see the tabs on the clutch cover that can be reset if a new disc is installed. I don't remember the complete details of resetting, but it requires compression of specific parts of clutch cover and rotating those tabs all the way to one direction. I don't remember if it is clockwise or counter clockwise. I think the instructions are in the Ford shop manual somewhere.

Yes, I was in some pretty rough terrain but not nearly as extreme as your photos. However, it may have contributed to getting air out of the clutch hydraulics anyway. I was also as high as 13,000 ft and that could have contributed, but I think it should have made the problem worse at altitude before it got better. I honestly did not notice any change while at high altitude.

I hope this it not to far off track for the OP. I was not trying to make this thread about me. I just wanted to explain what I experienced, kind of similar to the OP's experience.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals