• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clutch hydro system swap-ability?

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
clutch hydro system swap-ability? Tech advice needed

OK so after using the search system and tech library and going through 30+ pages of the tranny tech threads with no answers in sight, I figure I should post my question.

My rig is an 86 BII fm145 1350M combo. Amazingly surviving behind a 92 4.0L and fw d44/9" on 38" TSL's with the 2.9 clutch and flywheel no less.

Anyways I pulled the trans/tcase to swap in another clutch disk because I'm saving for the c4 swap and am no where near close to the goal yet and in the process I broke off the plastic hose on the slave right at the fitting on the slave. Can't seem to find a replacement locally for some reason, they say that it has been dis-continued or some BS which I kinda doubt.

I went to the local hose builders and they want my first born child to make me a new hose and an arm and a leg to try and repair my existing hose.

So I have a 92 F150 5.0L m5od (< I think) 1356, with the hydro clutch system unopened. Before I start pulling it all apart from the f150 can it be made to work in my fm145?

Any answers or ideas you guys have will be very appreciated.

Thanks for your time and replies.

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
you want to use the hydraulics from the full size with the existing trans in the b2? i dont think any of it would fit, the master or the slave. i an almost positive though that i have the parts you need sitting in my shed with no use for them. i *think* i have a master and slave with a line, all still together, along with another used master and line, and a new slave. i will have to go dig to see if i still have them around but if you are interested, shoot me a pm

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply!

So you figure it's a no go on the full size parts into the fm145 hey?

I see your in Ohio, well I'm in northern BC Canada, postal code v2k-1z6 :( That's a long ways to ship something, I would think may be costly??

Sucks I'm now missing out on the wheeling season too. Oh well, I'll keep searching for said parts for now, unless it is cheap to ship from Ohio.

Looking at the master on the F150 is appears to be the same bolt pattern and looks almost the same as the one off the 86BII and even the push rod is the same length and hole size for the pedal. Hose is a couple inches longer than the BII and the hose also comes out the top of the bell housing from the slave very similar to the BII. Looked it up online and they look very similar in design as well.

What would be my problem if it actually fit, would there be a throw out bearing push length difference? Or maybe an entire length difference? Hmmm, this F150 isn't road worthy so......not sure if it's worth the effort to test my theories.....Hmmmm....

Anyone know more about this potential swap? 92 f150 clutch slave and master swap into stock 86 fm145 BII trans???

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The F-series slave would work fine... IF you had a 1988-92 Ranger (or it's transmission)

It's possible one of the many junkyard crawlers on the forum might find you one of those lines....

I MAY have one already, let me look around...

AD

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
OK so I'm guessing it's a whole wrong part problem with the f150 slave hey? Hmmm. bummer.

Looking around online for pics of the f150 set-up , appears to be a 2 bolt mount for the f150 slave and mine just sits in there, no bolts at all. The f150 slave has the line and bleeder separated by a couple inches, mine has them almost touching together. The f150 has the line and bleeder exiting the bell at about 3 O clock, mine are at about 1 O clock.

I'm still not sold on it not working , ha ha. But again, I have no time to waist pulling this f150 apart if it won't work. this sucks. :(

So if I had the 88-up fm146 this f150 slave would work?

Could I just notch my bell housing to make this f150 slave fit in there, or is there more I'm missing that will prevent this from working?

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated!!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, for YOUR application, an '85-87 Ranger there's nothing on an F-series that's gonna help you.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals