• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch died :(

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi all,
The clutch on my 98 3.0 4x4 died while driving. All of a sudden, it wouldnt go into third. Then I couldn't jam it into second either so i pulled off the road. I had just enough engage left after I stopped to jam it into first and move a bit, and then, the clutch pedal was free all the way to the floor so I stopped messing with it and had it towed. I have done a clutch job before, but in this cold whether, I just don't want to if I don't have to. There was no play/slipping in the clutch itself, the pedal just stopped disengaging the clutch. I can't find any leaks, and the fluid looks like its still full, so I'm stumped. I don't really mind doing a master if that is the issue, but I don't want to waste time and money(>70$) if that's not exactly the issues. Are there any tips and tricks of what to look for to diagnose this issue to either the slave or the master? I'd sure hate to wait until spring to tear the tranny out :(.
If it helps at all, I can hear a slight squeak/click coming from the master when I push the clutch in...but it may have always done this and i'm just noticing it.
Thanks for any and all advice,
Alex

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No fluid down in the bell housing? Check carefully, because what you're describing is pretty much how my slave died. Was trying to get out of some snow, clutch in reverse, clutch in first, clutch in reverse, almost doesn't engage, then nothing. Slaves dying are much more common that masters.

The fluid came out of mine in the hole on the bottom of the housing next to the oil pan. You could confuse it with oil from changing the filter if you don't look closely. Take off the dust shield from the clutch inspection port and stick your finger in there and see if it feels wet.

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK. There is a lot of leakage from the bellhousing right by the oil pan. I removed the dust cap and it appeared dry. I bled and bled and had no good luck, so I hooked a hand pump to the bleeder valve. Oddly enough, I only got about a couple ounces of brake fluid out, and it just stopped. On a side note, it wouldn't hold vacuum(you could hear it hissing). On another side note, the resoirver wasn't draining down, even having someone jam on the clutch as I applied vacuum. I removed the dust cap again and there was fluid all over it. Guessing the slave is busted? I'm in for some fun I guess.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
how to check master cylinder: remove banjo bolt from slave cylinder line. intall regular bolt same pitch and thread. depress pedal and pump once or twice to build pressure. see if pedal gets hard, dont push too hard or you will blow the master seal. if pedal goes to floor, master seal is blown, if pedal stays up, master is good, move to slave cylinder. reinstall banjo bolt, and get buddy. have buddy press on pedal and watch to see if fluid runs down inside of tranny case. if pedal gets firm, bleeds, and fully depresses clutch, no problem, look into clutch. if pedal gets firm and bleeds but doesnt depress clutch and fluid runs down side, the seal on the slave is busted/blown/has pinhole and needs to be rebuilt/replaced. if the master is blown check the slave for stuck piston as a stuck piston in the slave allows for pressure to be built up on the master and w/ enuff pressure will blow the master seal. hope this helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals