• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch And Throw out bearing

sinbad PRNDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I have a problem with what I believe is my throwout bearing and potentially more. I have a 2000 Ford Ranger V6 3.0 2wd 5 speed she likes to have a subtle grind in nuetral and sometimes when i riding 60 down the road. also when i give her gas in gear she likes to slip and rev like she was an automatic with a bad tranny. Just curious roughly what im going to be getting into when i start the throwoutbearing and clutch, hopefully its only the throwout.:icon_confused:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Either Master cylinder or worn out clutch disc is the most likely cause, close 3rd would be the self-adjusting pressure plate, throwout bearing wouldn't/couldn't cause that symptom.

Master cylinder has a check valve that allows new fluid to come in and it releases all pressure in slave when foot is off the pedal.
Pump pedal 3 or 4 times, take foot off the pedal, and then open the bleeder valve, fluid should just drip out, if it sprays out then replace master, it is holding pressure in system, so slave out a bit, clutch disc is not fully engaged, and throwout bearing is spinning all the time.
Clutch system has 0 pressure unless foot is pushing in the pedal

Last edited:

sinbad PRNDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rond

Hi RonD Thanks for the rely. Bear with me please im someone new to this. So youre saying it may not be my throwout..correct. while i have the tranny out checking the clutch plate will it be cost effective to rplace the whole clutch and throwoutbearing while i have eveyrthing torn out

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Hi RonD Thanks for the rely. Bear with me please im someone new to this. So youre saying it may not be my throwout..correct. while i have the tranny out checking the clutch plate will it be cost effective to rplace the whole clutch and throwoutbearing while i have eveyrthing torn out
Yah, Everything from the rear main seal out.Stop at the Pedal arm. I didn't like it either when I found out. :D

sinbad PRNDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
clutch and throw out

How much did that cost you in parts, what vehicle did you do it on? yourself or sent it to a garage?. does the clutch kit include everything ill need to replace besides throwout. any feedback would be appreciated

matticus420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How much did that cost you in parts, what vehicle did you do it on? yourself or sent it to a garage?. does the clutch kit include everything ill need to replace besides throwout. any feedback would be appreciated
look up luk clutches cheap really good quality if you get the clutch kt it cames with throw out bearing pressure plate and clutch but you would have to get main seal separate

my kit for my 93 was $100
havent bought the main seal yet
price to change at shop around my area was anywhere from $200-$350
but im thinking of doing it myself when i have some time and the weather clears up

sinbad PRNDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
goodluck on your swap what vehicle are you doing it for

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
A:Ddd another 75 or so for the master and the hose. I did the job myself. It was a PITA. I had to break several things to get them apart. The truck isn't worth paying some one to fix its troubles. :D

matticus420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Forgot slave yea im not too excited to start but its gotta be done

sinbad PRNDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
fortunatly this is an arizona truck so everything underneath is clean should come apart nice

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo

sinbad PRNDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals