• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clunking over bumps

Mercutio879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Last October, I purchased a 2009 Ranger XLT, 4 cylinder, 2WD, manual transmission, 115,000 miles from the local Ford dealer. It's been solid apart from one thing. It clunks when going over bumps.

I replaced the front shocks, one of which was completely blown, and that helped a bit, but didn't completely solve it. Took it back to Ford, they said it was the control arm bushings, and they wanted $1000 to replace them. I took it to another mechanic, they said (and showed me) that it was a worn passenger side lower front ball joint. After a little negotiating, I paid for half of the new lower control arms on the front.

The clunk persists. Again, it's better, but not resolved. I've had the truck on my lift, I cannot move the tires in any direction. The upper ball joints seem tight, the front sway bar end links are all okay, from what I can tell.

It clunks on sharp bumps most of the time, but rarely over speed bumps. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm in a turn or not. I do not feel the clunk in the steering wheel when it happens. I cannot make it happen by bouncing on the front.

The front pads and rotors were replaced by the dealership prior to my purchase (and they made hash of the bearing caps).

I'm kind of at a loss at what it could be.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I mean... is the battery clamped solid? Something loose under the hood... or a can of Axe body spray in the glove compartment? Are you certain it's front end related?

Tire wear would be a pretty good indicator of something loose in the front end. You can use big channel locks to put a bit of a squeeze on steering joints... a big pry bar under the tires can persuade a loose bushing to show itself.

Mercutio879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
... I never did check the battery. That would be a dumb one.

Fortunately, I do have have any cans of deodorant, or anything else in the truck. I'm 90% certain, as that's where the sound is coming from. The front pinion seal is leaking a bit, but I don't think it's related. I've tried to pay attention going over bumps, and the clunk happens when the front tires hit, before the rears do their thing. I do need new rear shocks, but, again, I doubt that's related.

I'll try all that next time I have the truck in the air.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Mine clunks on sharp bumps too. Like hitting a deep pothole too fast. For me its the shocks bottoming out on the drop. For whatever resson the shocks are the limiting factor of the suspensions droop. Great design Ford. :rolleyes:

But I would check wheel bearings. Inner and outer tie rod ends. Sway bar frame bushings, and use a pry bar to check upper control arm bushings and ball joints, simply rocking the tire isn't enough force to tell if they are truly bad.

Mercutio879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Great design Ford.
I'm starting to think it's just how the suspension on this truck works. I realize they're pretty crude overall, but you'd think you'd make it slightly civilized.

This doesn't just happen with deep potholes, though. It's all the time on rough-ish roads.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
This doesn't just happen with deep potholes, though. It's all the time on rough-ish roads.
That's not normal then, like I said mine only does it if the jolt is bad enough to let the suspensions max out. A simple rough road wouldn't do that unless your definition of rough is a little off lol.

In your last post you said front pinion seal is leaking? Is this a 2wd or 4wd? 2wd trucks don't have a front pinion, unless you mean the steering rack?

Mercutio879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
In your last post you said front pinion seal is leaking?
Sorry. I meant rear pinion seal. For some reason my brain was thinking that the seal was in front of the pumpkin, so...

It's on my list of things to fix. Doesn't bother me too much, this is the first vehicle I've owned that doesn't mark its territory!

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I've been dealing with a clunking problem here and there as well. I know I have to do the inner tie rods as they have a little play in them. When I do those, I am going to do the sway bar end links and the center bushings where it mounts to the frame.

Just curious, what is the condition of the radiator core support? I wonder if it is starting to fail, would that make some noise as it perhaps shifts?

Mercutio879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Just curious, what is the condition of the radiator core support? I wonder if it is starting to fail, would that make some noise as it perhaps shifts?
Another thing to check. Would make a little sense, too, as sometimes, I swear it's on the passenger side, and others, I swear it's on the driver's. If the radiator is bouncing around, I could see how the sound would move.

Is that a known problem area on these?

I did look at the sway bar bushings yesterday when I was swapping on summer tires. They look old, but fine.

Mercutio879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Quick update, battery, radiator, everything easily accessible from under the hood is solid. I'll have to dig further at another time. Thanks for the pointers!

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
My noise is similar, it most time comes from the passenger side, but once in a while it feels like the driver side as well.

I know the core supports can rust out after awhile it is a common issue in many Ford trucks. I know mine is getting bad, and I will probably replace it this season before it totally falls apart.

Check from underneath, looking up at the radiator support and the header panel. Mine looks fine on top, but when you look from the wheelwell or underneath, oh boy.

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
A "Random Thought". Have you checked the body mounts ? Welcome to the club.

wordsmyth

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
BTDT, on a previous and on my current Ranger. My thought is either the control arm bushings or another ball joint.

Also, check the tension on the spare tire cable to make sure it is not flapping against the frame.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
get a parking lot and short piece of 2 x 4, run over it with one side then the other to isolate it, hopefully.

don't be afraid to start bashing on parts with a rubber mallet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals