• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clunking issues

Flash Gordan

Savior of the Universe!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My GF and I went over to her aunt's house tonight. And her aunt asked me what could possibly be causing a clunking noise in the front end of her 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee. So we wheel it around the driveway a couple times and I was almost willing to bet that the control arm bushings are going bad. But supposedly they were just replaced a few months back. So we start driving down the street, and on smooth pavement it doesn't make any noise at all. Her aunt treats this Jeep like it was her child, so I know she doesn't beat on the thing. So does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be causing all the noise?

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had a loose shock bolt make a clicking/clunking on a Mazda, that Jeep would have unitbarring hubs so it should not be loose wheel barrings, but what about loose CA bolts? If the bushings were just done they can work them selfs free.

loneranger48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
Transmission
Manual
ive even had the front driveline ujoints go bad so then when you go over bumps the front driveline clunks.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Track bar. It's pretty common. And hard to spot if you haven't heard it a million times.

Have someone turn the wheel back and forth, while you look under it at the frame side of the track bar. It shouldn't move at all, if it moves side to side or up and down it's done.

If it is bad and you have to change it, you have to pop the right tie rod out of the knuckle. This is also a good time to put a new steering stabilizer in it, and change any loose tie rod you may have seen while checking the track bar.

Also check those control arm bushing bolts make sure they're tight. Usually if a bolt is loose you'll see a rub mark around the head, from it moving.

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
check the track bar at the axle end also, very common problem and hard to spot, the bolt appears to be tight but sometimes they wear and allow the metal sleeve to move.

Flash Gordan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
An update for everybody.... She took her jeep to the shop yesterday and supposedly they found out what it was at the cost of $300.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
front axle u-joints.

Flash Gordan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Nope to everybody's idea. Supposedly it was a broken sway bar end link that was making the noises. So they replaced both sides as a preventive measure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals