• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clicking noise

Jharmon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 03 ranger with a 2.3L engine. Lately I've noticed that there's a clicking noise while at idle and it speeds up as I accelerate. I've done some research on it and a lot of people say it the "lifter tick". Is this a serious problem? I'm gonna try some seafoam but are there better ways to fix it permanently?

thanks, Jeremy

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
your engine doesn't have lifters. it has cam followers that perform the function of a lifter. it' quite rare for them to wear out. take the oil filler cap off and stick a tube/hose in the hole. if it's cam followers you should hear it thru that tube. replacing a cam follower means removing the camshaft for access.
the intake manifold has a set of flapper valves in it. the shaft/bushings wear and make clicking noises. injectors make noise too, usually not much.

my 2005 2.3L turned over 347,000 miles today. still has all it's factory parts and doesn't make "too much" :icon_rofl: noise. (2005s don't have the intake flapper.)

cam followers don't have any moving parts or small holes to clog up. there's nothing for the Seafoam to work on.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Duratech engines also have very loud injectors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals