• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cleaning Seat Covers

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I came across a deal, on CL, for some XLT seats (60/40 split) out of a 2005 Ranger. The previous owner stored them, stacked, in an unheated garage on a concrete floor. The passenger seat is in really nice shape, it just needs a vacuum or perhaps a light cleaning. The driver's seat is the issue.

The 'skirt' area underneath the console has this white, hard, powdery 'crust' on it, like the efflorescence you see on concrete. I'm guessing the floor got damp/wet over the winter (we had LOTS of snow & cold here) and the bottom of the seat cover got wet, too. I tried to clean it with Resolve carpet/upholstery cleaner and a (super-stiff) grout brush. It had a little (positive) effect but did not remove it completely.

Should I try something like CLR? I do have a Hoover carpet cleaning machine with a hand-held upholstery attachment. I think I have the right tools to do the job but an wondering what cleaner to try next.

TIA, Dave.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Take the covers off and throw them in the washing machine.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A great idea. I will thy that, thanks snoranger.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
snoranger said:
Take the covers off and throw them in the washing machine.
This worked great. Getting the seat apart was a real chore, though.

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have any before/after pics? Or advice for trouble areas. I may be trying this soon.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did not take any pictures, sorry. I will say that the bottom 'skirt' of the driver's seat, under the center console, looked like it was encrusted with road salt. I was happily surprised that it all "came out in the wash". :D

Get yourself the necessary Torx bits (T40, T45, & T55, I think). If your seats are regular cab, like mine, it's easier to remove the seat back from the seat bottom. I only washed the one cover (driver's seat bottom). The driver's seat back and passenger seat were cleaned with the upholstery attachment for my carpet cleaner. However, it you want to remove all of the covers, and wash them, that should work fine.

Look for the hook & loop (Velcro) attachment strips on the seat bottoms. One side is on the seat cover and the other is attached to the foam. This stuff is really hooked together (from lots of a$$es sitting on the seats!). If you're not careful, you can pull the one strip right out of the foam. So, when you have all of the plastic "J" channels popped off of the seat pan, that hook & loop stuff will be the only thing holding the cover to the foam.

Use a shop vac to remove any debris on the inside of the cover(s). There's a white lining, on the cover, that degrades. It will end up as white fluffy balls in the washer (easy to collect but still a pain).

Let the cover(s) air dry. I laid mine on my blacktop driveway on a sunny day. It was dry in under an hour.

I found it easier to remove the seat belt buckle clasp. There are a couple of small plastic "J" channels around that area and having that area clear of the mechanism makes the work easier.

I have not yet put the cover back on. So, I can't provide any insight into that procedure.

Last edited:

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I have a bronco II, just want to throw all of my upholstery in wash because it was a farm truck and hasn't been road worthy in years, but has a clean interior. Just cleaning and disinfecting before I put it on the road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals