• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cigarette lighter re-install?

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
My cig lighter was "missing" but actually it was behind the bezel. I loosened bezel, can get to cig lighter, took off the wires, I see how it screws into the base of it, here is issue, the tabs that hold it are worn out so it just pushes through. I'm thinking, if I could find/make a washer the right size, like, fiber, rubber, whatever, because the hole for it is tapered, I could probably get it to stay in there. Am I making any sense?

Then assuming I can get it to stay, which is largely a cosmetic consideration, I'd be nice to get another "Aux 12V" for it, then I'd have two. I don't need the lighter. It works though so there's power to it ok.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, on my original dash bezel thing that was broken on mine and that's where I plugged in my GPS and one day it pushed inside the dash... My fix was just to find another bezel, it's a simple install and all you need to look for in the junkyard is a similarly equipped Ranger or Explorer (all trim levels change drastically on this piece...) from '95-2011 on Rangers and I think '95-01 on Explorers. Rangers to have that port there will need to be 4x2 or 4x4 with manual transfer case (4x4 switch was there I think...) and explorer would need to not have a rear wiper I think unless you don't mind a knob on the other side of the radio...

To get the bezel off you just have to pull the 2 screws under the stereo then pry out on the bezel, the stereo and everything will come with it as you probably already know if you found the lighter socket...

I would imagine you could just put a couple washers there, lighter sockets just screw together and usually have some extra room for things...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals