• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cigarette Lighter Circuit Blowing a Fuse consistently

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
The finished result, the switch works now , and im going to run it up into the hole on the dash where the cigarette lighter is (what a useless tool)
IMG_1929.jpg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Glad you got it figured out... who knows why it was popping the fuse. But if it was a cheap switch and you soldered the wires to it... the heat could have damaged the internals or maybe some solder leached into the switch enough to short out.

Not sure why you just didn't use the connector/pigtail in your picture for the LED strip. Then make the wiring connections on the pigtail wires. Soldering those heavy gauge wires (at least twice the size needed) directly to the LED strip without a doubt degraded the integrity of the strip. Did you use heat shrink or something to keep those wires isolated from each other? That four wire soldered connection at the LED strip just looks sketchy to me. If you have trouble in the future with that system... those connections would be the first place I would look.

Good luck going forward...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ummm yea, those solder joints at the light connection are gonna burn your truck to the ground one day. If that wasn't the issue, it will be.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
Ummm yea, those solder joints at the light connection are gonna burn your truck to the ground one day. If that wasn't the issue, it will be.
the instructions said to solder them . They are isolated and that isnt possible ... I have an inline fuse right at the circuit

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
.0072" isnt exactly "isolated".

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
the instructions said to solder them . They are isolated and that isnt possible ... I have an inline fuse right at the circuit
When I said isolated... I meant like... did you slip a piece of heat shrink over the solder joints individually?

I still would have suggested using the pigtail and soldering your wires there...

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
When I said isolated... I meant like... did you slip a piece of heat shrink over the solder joints individually?

I still would have suggested using the pigtail and soldering your wires there...
There were no pigtails on the led lights...they have prongs only. The hardwire instructions said to solder the prongs. I did wrap the solder joints individually and isolated them from eachother

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I was just looking at your picture and it sure looked like a couple of connectors... one with a pigtail. That's why I mentioned it.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
I was just looking at your picture and it sure looked like a couple of connectors... one with a pigtail. That's why I mentioned it.
that is an extension plug

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
that is an extension plug
So... if you plugged it on... power and ground on the pigtail wires... The LEDs wouldn't illuminate? My guess would be they would... but not positive.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
So... if you plugged it on... power and ground on the pigtail wires... The LEDs wouldn't illuminate? My guess would be they would... but not positive.
I don't understand why you keep saying pigtails, the leds dont have pig tails. they have prongs.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
A constant force, acting on a particle of mass m, will produce a constant acceleration a. Let us choose the x-axis to be in the common direction of F and a. What is the work done by this force on the particle in causing a displacement x? We have, for constant acceleration, the relations a = ( V - v ) / t and x = ½ ( V + v ) t. Here v is the particle's speed at t = 0 and V is its speed at time t. The the work done is W = F x = m a x = m ( ( V - v ) / t ) ( ½ ( V + v ) ) t = ½ m V² - ½ m v². We call one-half the product of the mass of a body and the square of its speed the kinetic energy of the body. If we represent kinetic energy by the symbol K, then K = ½ m v². We may then state the above equation in this way: The work done by the resultant force acting on a particle is equal to the change in the kinetic energy of the particle.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic

I still have a few perfectionist stuff to clean up on the light installation, but for the most part everything is buttoned up nicely now, circuits all secury with zipties and corregated tubing, I isolated the inside dash lights from the outside wheel well lights ran them on 20 and 25 amp circuits with inline fuses at the start of the circuit.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I don't understand why you keep saying pigtails, the leds dont have pig tails. they have prongs.
I don't know why I do either... except that you seem to have made one out of your "extension plug". Clearly you have it all figured out... good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals