• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Christmas 🎄 plans and traditions

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
You know why Santa is so jolly* (see below)?

Polish generally celebrate with family on Christmas Eve, it’s about the anticipation, patience, prayer for salvation, and then celebrate His coming with friends on Christmas Day.

It has been and typically remains more family oriented and religious, less commercial. When decorating the tree, each person picks an ornament with another, they each make a family wish, and they hang the ornament on the tree together. You hang an ornament one-by-one until you’ve wished/blessed with everyone (wow, then it’s a free for all, and later Mom puts all the ornaments in the right place). Oh, and before all this, Mom would verbally abuse Dad until all the ancient lights were lit and in place**

We had turkey and ham, and the Polish treats: gelatin pigs feet stew drizzled with vinegar, “sfartkie” (boiled red potatoes drizzled with bacon bits and grease), cucumbers in sour cream with onions and vinegar, potato-, cheese-, sauerkraut-, and berry perogies, “kluski” (quick-fried left over perogie dough), kielbasa, “chrustchikie” (bow-tie sugar twists), and I’m sure I’m missing a hundred.

My artistic Uncle Gene would put 2 pounds of butter together and carve it into the Baby Jesus in the Manger (a Lamb with a cross/staff at Easter). Torpedoed twice in the Polish merchant marine, later serving in Polish uniform in the British merchant marine, he learned to love North Atlantic seafood, and Mom always got fresh cod and prepared it special for him. Before eating, after the Prayer, like the ornaments, we’d walk around with bread (like a large wafer Host, earlier blessed by the Bishop) and break bread and eat, pray and pass love and thanks and good wishes to everyone attending individually.

3E087DF4-B7DA-44BC-AA06-E86619DF9E55.jpeg

“Good old Santa“ (known as Święty Mikołaj) a/k/a called Gwiazdor (gvia-zdoohr, Eng: The Bishop, St. Nicolas) historically visits children on Dec 6th, St. Nicolas Day, but that has been lost out-of-country. He comes during dinner now, and we all gather and open presents the rest of the evening. Around 10:00, in full dress, we’d walk to church singing carols (there are hundreds of Polish carols), gathering friends and momentum before midnight mass.

Christmas morning, more presents were opened, Dad took a little more abuse**, and it was a day of community and celebration. We’d visit, or we’d be visited by, friends and acquaintances all day and night. My friends always liked visiting me and my Polish family and friends because at 14, you were a man, and a shot of Polish vodka was tradition (I’m a little fuzzy on how everything ended Christmas Day).

Polish culture and tradition is akin to Our Country’s best military traditions: God, family and faith, nation and patriotism, honor and chivalry, etc.

What are your traditions, best memories, new family traditions?

My new friends: Wesołych Świąt i szczęśliwego Nowego Roku - Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! My prayers and wishes that you and your family and loved ones have peace, happiness, success and good health, and that you share in community and giving, remembering those who serve and those in need.

**Oh, and over the years with my Mom’s “encouragement,” my Dad would drink Cherry Kijafa on the cold Holidays. It’s a sweet Danish cherry wine, like a port or sherry. After two wives, I’ve adopted this tradition too.

* & you know why Santa is so jolly? He knows where all the naughty girls are!!!

D9DC88B3-325B-4690-9AC3-ECF049C297BF.jpeg

& stay humble!!!
( the little people like that!!)

Last edited:

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Food sounds awesome, except I'd have to sleep with the windows open for three days afterwards....

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You know why Santa is so jolly* (see below)?

Polish generally celebrate with family on Christmas Eve, it’s about the anticipation, patience, prayer for salvation, and then celebrate His coming with friends on Christmas Day.

It has been and typically remains more family oriented and religious, less commercial. When decorating the tree, each person picks an ornament with another, they each make a family wish, and they hang the ornament on the tree together. You hang an ornament one-by-one until you’ve wished/blessed with everyone (wow, then it’s a free for all, and later Mom puts all the ornaments in the right place). Oh, and before all this, Mom would verbally abuse Dad until all the ancient lights were lit and in place**

We had turkey and ham, and the Polish treats: gelatin pigs feet stew drizzled with vinegar, “sfartkie” (boiled red potatoes drizzled with bacon bits and grease), cucumbers in sour cream with onions and vinegar, potato-, cheese-, sauerkraut-, and berry perogies, “kluski” (quick-fried left over perogie dough), kielbasa, “chrustchikie” (bow-tie sugar twists), and I’m sure I’m missing a hundred.

My artistic Uncle Gene would put 2 pounds of butter together and carve it into the Baby Jesus in the Manger (a Lamb with a cross/staff at Easter). Torpedoed twice in the Polish merchant marine, later serving in Polish uniform in the British merchant marine, he learned to love North Atlantic seafood, and Mom always got fresh cod and prepared it special for him. Before eating, after the Prayer, like the ornaments, we’d walk around with bread (like a large wafer Host, earlier blessed by the Bishop) and break bread and eat, pray and pass love and thanks and good wishes to everyone attending individually.

View attachment 53118

“Good old Santa“ (known as Święty Mikołaj) a/k/a called Gwiazdor (gvia-zdoohr, Eng: The Bishop, St. Nicolas) historically visits children on Dec 6th, St. Nicolas Day, but that has been lost out-of-country. He comes during dinner now, and we all gather and open presents the rest of the evening. Around 10:00, in full dress, we’d walk to church singing carols (there are hundreds of Polish carols), gathering friends and momentum before midnight mass.

Christmas morning, more presents were opened, Dad took a little more abuse**, and it was a day of community and celebration. We’d visit, or we’d be visited by, friends and acquaintances all day and night. My friends always liked visiting me and my Polish family and friends because at 14, you were a man, and a shot of Polish vodka was tradition (I’m a little fuzzy on how everything ended Christmas Day).

Polish culture and tradition is akin to Our Country’s best military traditions: God, family and faith, nation and patriotism, honor and chivalry, etc.

What are your traditions, best memories, new family traditions?

My new friends: Wesołych Świąt i szczęśliwego Nowego Roku - Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! My prayers and wishes that you and your family and loved ones have peace, happiness, success and good health, and that you share in community and giving, remembering those who serve and those in need.

**Oh, and over the years with my Mom’s “encouragement,” my Dad would drink Cherry Kijafa on the cold Holidays. It’s a sweet Danish cherry wine, like a port or sherry. After two wives, I’ve adopted this tradition too.

* & you know why Santa is so jolly? He knows where all the naughty girls are!!!

View attachment 53119

& stay humble!!!
( the little people like that!!)
Thanks. Very similar to what the Polish side of my Dad's family did. (Other side is German) They were Catholic, so no meat Christmas eve. My Dad's two aunts usually hosted the Christmas eve gathering and feast. Some of the foods you mentioned, also home made pickled herring (which I don't like). Uncle Alphie and Uncle Joe knew where to find mushrooms out in the hills around the coal mines and there would be awesome mushroom soup. And the baked goods. Wow! Egg nog spiked with brandy. Mom and I were just talking about that an hour ago. There's other stuff I don't remember details of. But it was always great family visiting through the Holidays.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
also home made pickled herring
OMG, amen, yes!!!! How could you not like it if you like transmission fluid, battery acid and brake cleaner?!?!?

Italian, Irish, Middle East, Africa, French, Etc? If you don’t have the history, what do you do with your family now, what do you want passed on?!?!?

So, what are your traditions with your folks?

Uncle Alphie and Uncle Joe knew where to find mushrooms out in the hills around the coal mines
Yeah, that was a different tradition in the 60s in Arizona and San Francisco....

Last edited:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
tradition is a christmas eve bonfire with my heathen friends .... lol

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Usually it's spending time with friends and family in multiple locations. My family, her family, Christmas Vigil with the VVA, and maybe a another place or two. Covid and weather has thrown a big, fat monkey wrench in all of that. Trying to make lemon aid where I can.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Usually it's spending time with friends and family in multiple locations. My family, her family, Christmas Vigil with the VVA, and maybe a another place or two. Covid and weather has thrown a big, fat monkey wrench in all of that. Trying to make lemon aid where I can.
Hot cocoa is more of a Christmas drink than lemonade.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I think Sweat Tea is more their thing.
I said South America, not the southern United States...
Although, sweet tea may be popular in South America, I don’t know.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Misread that. My bad.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I think Sweat Tea is more their thing.
Sweet tea is a southern cornerstone. Un-sweet tea, also known as Yankee tea, not so much...

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Avoid relatives. Drink heavily if that's not possible. Or do so anyway, just in case ;)

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I mean, Are they really our friends in south america?

And does any nation outside of the United states really matter? I know and think they do not..... we take the best parts of all that "tradition" and leave out the other nonsense.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals