• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

choosing a programmer/chip

WTCBST

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1995 ranger 4.0l 5spd manual and im trying to decide on wether or not to get a programmer..ive seen hypertech carries one and says you can gain 100hp is this an accurate hp gain? is there any problems you have ran into while having the hypertech programmer?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
100 HP from a programmer alone?

Someone's selling bridges again....

motoxchamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
100hp is for diesel applications not a ranger 4.0l

WTCBST

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
100hp is for diesel applications not a ranger 4.0l
i asked one of the reps and they said for ranger i was like wtf bullshit..whats the hp gain on a ranger?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
i asked one of the reps and they said for ranger i was like wtf bullshit..whats the hp gain on a ranger?
Expect 10-15 Hp at the MOST from a tuner/chip alone. Ive heard good things about Bamachips, I would contact them, they can make custom tunes for headers, cams ,ect.

Kachess

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know James Duff makes a chip and shows 32hp increase on a dyno w/ a free flowing intake. I am heavily considering it. I havent heard any experiences with it though...

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
two of my friends have throttle body spacers and chips (friend has an '97 f-150 with the 4.6 , and another has a '99 dakota with the 5.2)

I have considered looking into buying chips before but i have two reasons why i feel i shouldn't buy one:

1) the motor has near 200,000 miles on it so if i start chipping it, stuff will probably break

2) i just don't see what a programmer/chip can do for a 5spd ranger, i know with an auto it will change shift firmness, shift points, torque converter stuff but i still don't see what i can do with the ranger as the manual tranny allows you to slip the clutch and just shift it high anyways.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It can play with the fuel mixtures and especially ignition timing advance. But you're right; transmission shifting is a much bigger effect (excepting at a dead stop).

It's not going to make enough difference to break things, unless it starts detonating. Then, the breakage is due to the detonation (very much like hitting pistons with a big hammer), not due to extra torque. Nitrous can very easily break drivetrain parts, but anything else is going to cost big bucks to get in that zone.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
Expect 10-15 Hp at the MOST from a tuner/chip alone. Ive heard good things about Bamachips, I would contact them, they can make custom tunes for headers, cams ,ect.
+1 for hahns,if you spend the money then get a chip that can be custom tuned.that way as you do stuff to your motor you can adjust it from there and won't have to get rid of it later.
intake-chip-headers(just get rid of the in grill cold air,it will hydrolock your motor fast)and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals