• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chevy Blazer strikes again

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Long time no see everyone. Just a quick an update on how things are going. I've moved, got my own house, still drive the old Ranger, and have acquired the old family 4x4 Blazer.

So on to the problem. The family Blazer is a bit of a gremlin when things go wrong. This time, the AT fluid overfilled into the transfer case and got sucked up through the actuator switch and into the vacuum lines. Damage seems minimal to the vacuum line system and I have already flushed the lines clean. I've also disconnected the 4x4 vacuum lines to prevent further spread until the main problem is fixed. So I have a 4x4 Blazer with no working 4x4 system, but drivable if needed (The Ranger is my daily driver as it never lets me down).

So now for the questions. I have been trying to figure out what seals that need to be replaced. I know the leak is between the transmission output and the transfer case input shaft. But I don't know how many seals there are. I have found the transfer case seal, but there doesn't seem to be a transmission output shaft seal for a 4x4 model. A good diagram would help, but I can't find one of a 4x4 model.

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
What year is it?

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Sound like the wrong year( being a gremlin and all)

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Sound like the wrong year( being a gremlin and all)
:icon_rofl: Yeah, it is one of those years where GM mixed old and new designs. It is a 1996 Chevy Blazer LT 4x4 w/ off-road package (4 door, not the 2-door ZR2).

It's funny how you can discover bigger issues when doing a little maintenance.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
there is no "transmission rear output shaft seal", the transmission sealsight up against the transfercase, there is a gasket between the two cases and the transfer case input shaft seal, when that seal fails (yes, not if, but when) the trans will overfill the transfer case, casing atf to go up the vent lines, and because the front axle is vacuum-actutated and the vent line is tied into the control switch, you end up with atf in the vac lines...another g.m. "mark of excellance"....be sure to get a double-lipped seal for the t-case, its about 12 bucks, dont recall what the gasket costs, have to get that from a gm dealer. personally on my wifes S-blazer I did away with the vacuum actator and the axle is "live", the transfer case switches it in and out of 4wd, the axle,gears and front driveshaft spin all the time, no issues, barely noticeable drop in fuel milage. the t-case seal replacement took me about 2-3 hours. theres a good blazer forum that may be helpful to you, i'll look it up and edit this post with a link, theres alot of other blazer-specific quirks you may or may not know about yet. its not a bad vehicle when its running right, but i sure cuss it when it aint....
edit #1, link to "blazer-forums" --> http://blazerforum.com/forum/
edit # 2, link to a page about bad transfer case input seal--> http://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/transfer-case-input-seal-question-44616/
edit#3, link to "blazer quirks"-->http://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/list-common-annoying-s-10-blazer-quirks-5771/
occasionally i get a few good months where i do nothing to my wife's '96, lately it seems to leak oil at the rate of 1/2 qt per month, im thinking of just changing the filter every 6 months and a complete oil change when the oil gets black. the blazer in my drive has almost 200K on the chasiss, and probly close to 250K on the engine, i spun all the bearings in the original engine a couple of years ago, replaced it with a used junkyard engine. this is "our" 2nd blazer, first one was a '97, and ive done nearly everything to the '96 that i had done to the '97, my dad just loves this chassis, hes on his 5th S-blazer.

Last edited:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Only 1x seal on the transfer case. That would explain why I couldn't find a transmission shaft seal. I have already ordered the new shaft seal. It is the new design with the double lip from National.

I don't mind the vacuum actuator for the front axle, it is a quite good design. But GM just went too simple of a design by allowing a point where fluid can get into the vacuum lines. An electric switch would have been better.

The Blazer was a family vehicle. We've had it since new and drove it all over the nation. My mom decided it was time for a new vehicle, so she gave it to me and she bought herself a new Subaru Outback. Not that I'm complaining, because I know everything that went wrong with the Blazer and the complete history of it.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Its a good idea to replace the fuel filter when you have the transfer case out of there for the seal replacement, its alot easier to get to.

Crockus

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I work at Chevy Dealership as a parts counter guy. I can get you any exploded views you need. There is an O ring type seal on the transmission side of the extension housing I know for sure. If you get me a VIN I can get you part numbers and pictures for anything you want. Here is my business card to prove Im not soliciting a VIN for trickery. If you email at the address on the card I can help you out.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Its a good idea to replace the fuel filter when you have the transfer case out of there for the seal replacement, its alot easier to get to.
Planned on it, already got the fuel filter. In fact, I got almost every seal and gasket for the engine to get it to stop leaking oil on my garage floor. I have a no drip policy.

Crockus, I don't see why you need a VIN to pull up diagrams and parts for my vehicle. It is kind of you to offer though. I was doing more research on it to find a giant o-ring seal and a gasket on the adapter. So I may be ordering those parts as well soon.

Crockus

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Simple answer it decodes all options. 96 has 2 transfer case np2 and np1. Also 2 motors 4.3x and 4.3w just helps and makes it easier. Its gets old having people say they need a starter for a 2004 truck saying its a small block Chevy they are all the same. Like there has only been starter since 1955. Just trying to help.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Simple answer it decodes all options. 96 has 2 transfer case np2 and np1. Also 2 motors 4.3x and 4.3w just helps and makes it easier. Its gets old having people say they need a starter for a 2004 truck saying its a small block Chevy they are all the same. Like there has only been starter since 1955. Just trying to help.
I thought about it for a while, so here it is.
VIN: 1GNDT13W3T2157326

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals