• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chevy 63 & 64 Inch Leaf Spring Clarifications....

red_ranger50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.25in
Tire Size
The Chevy springs I snagged from the junkyard were an extra 1/2in thick in the wraps. The width is spot on. But the end wrap is a little larger on mine. I think if I had stock rear shackles I'd be fine. But I have camburg extended rear shackles which are plated in and only give a 1/4in clearence for the wrap.

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I like the idea of getting more flex, but i don't really want my truck to sit much higher (all I've got on the front is a T-bar crank and 33's). I'm not all that familiar with how this all works, but it sounds like i could do the 63" spring swap and flip my hangars/shackles and eliminate my 4x4 blocks, and the truck would sit where it is now? Would i actually gain anything, or am i making things up? :icon_confused:

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
I like the idea of getting more flex, but i don't really want my truck to sit much higher (all I've got on the front is a T-bar crank and 33's). I'm not all that familiar with how this all works, but it sounds like i could do the 63" spring swap and flip my hangars/shackles and eliminate my 4x4 blocks, and the truck would sit where it is now? Would i actually gain anything, or am i making things up? :icon_confused:
If you flip it (-2" lift) add the 63s (+4" lift) and remove your factory block (-2" lift) you should be where you are currently with a better ride.

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
If you flip it (-2" lift) add the 63s (+4" lift) and remove your factory block (-2" lift) you should be where you are currently with a better ride.
Alright, Kinda what i figured based on browsing the forum. My only other question is about the hangers/shackles. I've seen people leave the hangers and turn the shackles around (not sure if it was for the chevy spring swap or something else) and I've seen people rotate the hangars 180 degrees and re-use the two stock holes and drill new ones for the further back/front bolts. I believe i'd be assuming correctly with the 180 degree flip idea?

This truck is my DD so i'd rather have all the facts than f*** up and have the truck off the road 3 days. seems like it should only be a couple hour project.

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I've read all 6 pages and other threads about the 63" Chevy leaf spring swap. But I haven't found anything about needing to modify the bed when you move the hanger forward. Just wondering if there's anything you've got to do to the bed? I have an extend cab short bed. I don't know if that matters.

-Blake
i'm aware of the front clearance issue with the supercab/bed wount in the front. Some say no mods to the bed (rear shackle end) but i just crawled under and it looks like it'll interfere hardcore. the picture below (stolen from another TRS forum) shows it sits above the frame, and my bed sits on the frame. suggestions? angle grinder and welder? i'd like to see what some other people have done.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
There will be no interference with inverted stock shackles...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I built a crossmember to lower the shackle mount. This was for changing my ride height but could be used for extended shackles;

Richard

Last edited:

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
There will be no interference with inverted stock shackles...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Great, thanks for the help guys! looks like the ranger is going under the knife again this weekend for some chevy springs.

85bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone happen to know a good part number for replacement bushings for the springs? I tried the dealership and they say they are discontinued. I'm trying to find rubber bushings instead of poly mainly because I'm trying to do this Ranger on a very tight budget. The springs I have I'm not positive what year Chevy they are off of but they are the 3 leaf packs with a bigger size bushing at one end than the other.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Poly bushings are not expensive, and are easier to install. IMO

85bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I couldn't find any poly 2 inch bushings that weren't in a set that included more stuff than I needed. I finally found my rubber bushings for under 40$ shipped after spending about 6 hours searching yesterday! It's funny how you change one search term and bam its right there in front of you!

project ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
wow this is a confusing topic but I like the idea so what is the setup that gets you decent lift and articulation??

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
wow this is a confusing topic but I like the idea so what is the setup that gets you decent lift and articulation??
roughly 4" of lift, and great articulation.

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Read the first 12 pages and its not so confusing. haha

project ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so putting on 63" chevy leafs and flipping shackels will give you that amount of lift? what do you do on the front to level it out? I did read the first 11 pages since this is now the 12 and it is a confusing topic just a lot of different configurations I am sorry we are not all master builders obviously like yourself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals