• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Check my brake line math/part numbers!

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Aight duders, this is what I've found. Please check me if ya don't mind.

Keep in mind, front is a 79' Bronco FW D44, rear is Ford 9" from the same truck. Truck should be lifted about 6" when done.

These are Oreilly Auto part numbers I think I'll need:

Front right: BH36837
Front left: BH36838
Center junction and line leading to frame: (Stock was BH38558 and 14.25" long) I think BH97659 will work. Same junction different length. It's 21".

Back right: Steel line. Will measure, bend and use appropriate length.
Back left: Same line. Will measure, bend and use appropriate length.
Back center: (Stock is BH99066 at 18.375" long) Will the BH97659 work in the rear at 21"?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You'd be better off with SS braided brake hoses. I got all THREE of mine (25" long) for $75 shipped.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I will agree with brinker88. I had long lines and didn't tie them out of the way enough and wore a pin hole into one line. If there had been ss covering the line I may have been able to see the problem before losing front brakes. That said, now that you are aware of the problem, you may not need to go that ss route.

Richard

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info Brink, I considered the idea but the price of all 6 lines (three front, three rear) is not much more than your 3 shipped. Also I'm keeping stock brake line for two reasons:

One: I want to be able to obtain the lines anywhere in the United States from any auto parts store without having to order them
Two: From my experience building bobbers and sportbikes, the benefits of stainless lines are marginal, and don't outweigh having the option of reason one above.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I will agree with brinker88. I had long lines and didn't tie them out of the way enough and wore a pin hole into one line. If there had been ss covering the line I may have been able to see the problem before losing front brakes. That said, now that you are aware of the problem, you may not need to go that ss route.

Richard

I haven't started the SAS so I don't have a problem just yet :icon_thumby:I'm not worried about durability etc. I just need to know if I did my math properly and if those part numbers will work.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't help with part numbers in your situation. i stood at the parts counter and looked/compared to my original lines until I found what I wanted. It took about 45 minutes. If I ever need to replace, I'll just do the same again.
Good luck,

Richard

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I like the fact that if (and it's a big IF) you get a line snagged on a branch, the SS will withstand a lot more than a rubber line. Plus if you factor in the life expectancy of a SS line Vs. a rubber line, It MORE than outwieghs the benefits of having the rubber line "In stock"

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, alright! ;) I promise I'll think about it. GEEZ mom! :D But back to the original question! Even if I do SS do you think those lengths will work?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm at 4.5-5" suspension and the 25" ones are long. With a 6" suspension lift, I think they'd be perfect.

And the thing you have to think about is downtravel. You're going to have a lot more ( I hope) down travel with your SAS suspension that you would with your stock suspension. You need to have enough hose at full droop so that it doesnt stretch.

So, no, I dont think you did your math correctly. Now go to your bedroom, you're grounded young man. :D

Edit: Or the other thing I've seen people do is run a short line off both sides of the caliper accross to the center of the diff so you dont have to worry about the line itself flexing.

Last edited:

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Edit: Or the other thing I've seen people do is run a short line off both sides of the caliper accross to the center of the diff so you dont have to worry about the line itself flexing.

That's what I thought I was doing. Hose goes from the caliper, travels down the length of the axle housing to the center where the junction on the diff is, and then goes up into frame and then to the master. Same thing for the back. Right?

This is so painful not being able to measure on the rig since I'm just collecting parts right now. I'm SO close to starting. Brake lines, shocks, DOM tubing and tracbar bushings are all I have left.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals