• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Check gauges light coming on with an Explorer cluster in Ranger

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Bare bones '97 Ranger 4 cylinder manual transmission with an instrument cluster from a '00 Explorer limited so I could get a tach. The Tach works great, the "check fuel cap" light was on constant so I pulled that bulb (no light on the original '97 dash for that).

I was on a long drive today and the "Check Gauges" light kept coming on, I was cruising at 3000rpm for a LONG time (4.10 gears and 28" tires on the freeway, you'll get that...). The light did just come on yesterday on me when I was low on fuel like it's supposed to do, but this was odd. It would come on for around 5 seconds every 1 to 2 minutes if I was cruising at or above 3000rpm, if I slowed down till the needle was under 3k it didn't come on. Everything else checked out, I put my OBD II deal in and checked the coolant temp on Torque and it was 80C (with a Motorcraft 92C thermostat in 90F weather... stupid thing), everything else in check...

I was wondering if it was just a dummy light in case someone with an auto trans might have accidently knocked it into second on the highway or something... If that's it, I'll just ignore it :)

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I would have thought you would have wanted to get the same engine/trans combo cluster. Maybe you tried, IDK. It is possible the clusters have different senders/sensors and that's why you have the lights.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Supposedly it doesn't make too much difference, but judging by the 2000 gauge cluster drawing I got from RonD a couple weeks ago the check gauges light goes to the slosh module in the cluster which only has inputs from the fuel gauge and the GEM possibly? Not sure I have one which could be part of the issue.

I'll likely just ignore it... driving my normal 60 mile round trip commute it didn't come on at all, but the only time I crossed 3k rpm I was accelerating not cruising, so it has to be that...

I tried like heck to find anything but explorers with tach's, nothing was in the yard and everything but that one exploder was pre broken, so I only had a couple choices at best... Still no regrets for the $18? the lens is even less scratched than my Ranger's cluster was... gotta love half off weekends, got a factory cassette stereo for like $13, rear slider for $23, pop out side windows for $22 ea, bed mat for $3, etc...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I'll likely just ignore it... driving my normal 60 mile round trip commute it didn't come on at all, but the only time I crossed 3k rpm I was accelerating not cruising, so it has to be that...
Just change out the "Check Gauges" colored lens to one that reads "SLOW DOWN!".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals