• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Check Engine Light

rmerc42

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Greetings. I'm new here so please excuse if I'm in the wrong department, if I'm asking a question that's already been addressed several times and if I've committed any other goofs while submitting my question. I scrolled back to Jan 2020 but couldn't find where this issue had been posted. Here goes...2001 Ford Ranger, 2WD, MT, Edge, Reg Cab, 3.0 Gas, about 73K miles. After replacing the MAF body and sensor with a new unit I'm getting a Check Engine light. That's the first time I've seen that warning since purchasing the truck new in '01. A friend told me the light isn't all that uncommon after messing with electrical issues. I don't want to drive it before checking with you folks to see if I can clear the light without an OBD Reader. Thanks for your patience and thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide. Rich

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This thread is absolutely useless without the codes. Go get us codes!

If the light isn't flashing you aren't damaging things, so drive it somewhere and come back with codes.

Don't clear the codes until you fix something.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, you can drive it

Yes, CEL will flash rapidly if computer detects a serious issue

You can get a Bluetooth OBD2 reader for under $20, these work using a smart phone and APP as the display
APPs are free and can read codes and clear codes, basic functions, or if your need/want more functions down the road then you can get a $5 APP
Works with iOS or Android

These readers work on ANY and ALL 1996 and newer vehicles, not a Ranger or Ford thing, or even a US thing, so a good thing to have if you plan on owning vehicles

Code list seen here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD-II_codes.shtml

Best to look up any code on a full list FIRST
Most sensors or controls have 4 to 8 codes each, and each means something a little different, so you can see what other codes the computer "could have used" and maybe why the computer chose one code over another

Last edited:

rmerc42

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks so much RonD. Got more than I bargained for. Appreciate the info and your time. Cheers! Rich

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
We need to stop messing with the framework that the founding fathers created.
AutoZone around here will lend you the reader to pull the codes. The guy at the front desk told me they would normally pull them for you but can’t due to covid.
Other parts chains might also have the readers.

rmerc42

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got it. Muchas thanks John.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals