• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Check Engine Light

detherth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 4.0l V6 and it's that time of the year again, for inspection but it's been throwing these codes all year round. P0443 P0171 P0174. Anyone have any clue as to what causes these. Or if they're triggered together or seperate problems.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I doubt you want me to say what I really know you don't want me to say. I bought a 1996 ford ranger extended cab for 100.00 it had the gutless wonder 2.3 5 speed. After spending 3000 on fixing this truck and doing everything that needed to be Fixed the State tells me It won't pass smog The modules for the EGR and the back O2 sensor never seem to clear. I paid 25 bucks for the smog guy to put it on his Dino to see what the numbers were like coming out the tailpipe. He comes back and tells me it's cleaning the air Its above factory clean. But he tells me because the check engine like being on and the modules are not set I fail. The Ref tells me to junk it. I was told take it to another Ref. Then I find out ford Had a problem with this year truck about wires grounding and causing it not to clear the modules.

It was a hush-hush Recall.

Calif does not care they want these trucks and cars off the road.

I will never Buy an OBD2 car or truck ever in my life mabey when I'm 80

I was told I can take my ford ranger to a state that does not have smog and sell it all day long for 4000.00 it gets 30 miles in the city and 39 miles per gallon on the road

Motor only has 400 miles on it Its a 1996 ford ranger extended cab anything that can be thought of is New or replaced

what it needs is a steering box it needs a better 5-speed trans and newer headlights Intioer is perfect headliner is perfect all glass good new mirrors new front windshield new tires matching good spear tire pain is the ok body has a few dents has rear slider roll-up windows Working AC and cold new AC pump heat works it's a Brand new truck could use a rear sway bare

The rear tail age was replaced with a gray one old pics when I got it engine is the old engine

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well I have no idea what that dude was getting at... but anyway

Purge valve could be stuck open causing a vacuum leak when the vent valve is also open (which is pretty much always) which will cause the lean codes. I'd simply disconnect the purge valve hose from the manifold and plug it and then see if the 0171 and 0174 go away (the 0443 should stay) If so you need a new purge valve or the connection is shorted.

Last edited:

detherth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies. I did some searching and found my vapor canister lines from the fuel tank and to the intake manifold are broken, so looks like i have to find those lines somewhere.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well there's your answer to all 3 codes, maybe. Definitely why you have the two lean codes, 0443 is a circuit code so you may still have a purge valve issue after replacing the lines though.

detherth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Your right. I replaced the lines and erased the light. But after about 14miles the light came back on and has a p0443 and p1443 codes.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Too bad you live in California. I used to. Here in Oklahoma, I put a piece of black tape over the stupid check engine light and keep on driving it. You've likely noticed that it runs just fine with the stupid light on. They usually do. I deleted the EGR valve and related stuff on my 98 and the light never goes off. Runs great. I have these little round pieces of black tape that are perfect for the job. About the size of a nickel. Don't cover anything else, juat the stuipd light. Two or three on top, you can't even see the glow. LMAO!!!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Your right. I replaced the lines and erased the light. But after about 14miles the light came back on and has a p0443 and p1443 codes.
So the lean codes are gone? P0443 and p1443 are purge valve codes. Replace the purge valve and make sure the lines are not plugged up anywhere. (A vacuum pump is helpful for that but blowing on the lines works too). Also check the wiring and connection for obvious damage and corrosion.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Too bad you live in California. I used to. Here in Oklahoma, I put a piece of black tape over the stupid check engine light and keep on driving it. You've likely noticed that it runs just fine with the stupid light on. They usually do. I deleted the EGR valve and related stuff on my 98 and the light never goes off. Runs great. I have these little round pieces of black tape that are perfect for the job. About the size of a nickel. Don't cover anything else, juat the stuipd light. Two or three on top, you can't even see the glow. LMAO!!!
Bragging about ignoring the check engine light is not really a good thing...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bragging about ignoring the check engine light is not really a good thing...
Maybe not. But there comes a point, when you get tired of it. And just say "F--- it! I quit. You win." And move on. Once I decided not to bother fixing the EGR again, and just delete it, the CE light became a constant, as I knew it would.

I'll be driving it to work today and tomorrow because it's raining. That's what I keep it for, driving in bad weather, so my other four vehicles stay nice and clean in their respective garages. I guarantee it'll start, get me to work and home both days, despite the stupid check engine light glowing behind the black tape. And it still gets 18 mpg around town. ;-)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals