• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

check engine light not working after cluster swap.

haizrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, and I'm trying to swap instrument cluster in my 96 ranger 2.3L, the only problem is that the check engine light isn't coming on after I swap them.

you see the original has no tach, however, the one I bought does.

The one I bought came from a 97 explorer.

I've checked the bulbs and all's good in that department, and I know the pcm is good because the old cluster works great with the check engine light.

other than the check engine light not coming on it works as intended.

in other words I'm lost and I need to know what to do to get it working. thanks

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I think you need to check the wiring for the cluster and find out if the wires match the pins on both vehicles. If it doesn't you may be able to swap the wires or, perhaps, solder in a jumper wire.

I would suggest checking the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual for both years, get print outs of the dash circuit, and trace the wires to the CEL. Quite likely the on-line manual will have the diagrams for both vehicles and my guess is they are slightly different harnesses...even though Ford was fairly consistent with those throughout the years.

Another thing would be to test the CEL circuit by applying 5 v to the pin for the CEL to make sure it is actually working before going through all that effort.

haizrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks mark for the step in some direction, at least I know where to start now. but how do I test with 5 volt. I'll have to contact the seller to see the exact model of vehicle.

haizrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was able to find this diagram, but I don't know how to read it. plus I can't find the one for the 96 ranger

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The CEL bulb gets 12volts when key is on, the computer Grounds it to turn it on, just FYI.

In 1996 Ranger they used a Pink/green stripe wire from computer Pin 1 to the clusters C216 connector pin 9, as the Ground for CEL bulb

For 1997 Explorer they used same color wire to C287 connector Pin 9 on the cluster

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
PK/LT GN is the wire for the Ranger...can't seem to read the Explorer info...it does not read the same but I would imagine the Malfunction Indicator Lamp would fit the bill. I started searching for a "how to test" page but haven't found anything...you might try doing that also.

And I would also imagine that you will need something like a noid light...one of those circuit testers would work...just plug it into the proper slot on the harness and turn on the key...if there is any power going through it you will get the light turning on...test the lights that normally would be on when you turn on the key...if they light up then you know the harness has power...then you would need to start the engine and test the CEL pin the same way.

Providing it is actually supposed to be on...otherwise you would need to generate a code so the light will be on. Mine only comes on after the engine is started and there is an active code in the memory.

haizrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
From what you and ron D said it looks like MIL or CEL is pin 9 on the 97 explorer cluster, However, mine it seems is wired up for the 96 ranger with no tach. Now if ron D is correct and the wire is pink with a green strip, or vise versa on the 96 ranger that shares the same pin, then which wire to switch.

and also what confuses me is there are three connectors one long white, one black and one white that's short. which of theses connectors is this pin 9 connected too. Because I don't want to be messing around with the wrong wires. I'm sorry to be asking theses questions but I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. I was able to brake down the truck and put it in but rewiring a harness is above my knowledge. and again thanks for the help, I hope this thread can help someone in the future as well.

haizrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I live in a state where the truck has to pass emissions so if the light doesn't come on when you turn the to the start position then it automatically fails.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I missed RonD's post because I was going back and forth between the docs but it looks like he got the same result...except the voltage...lol...I wasn't thinking car battery for some reason...

But that seems to be what the problem is...the cluster is from the 97 so you need to modify the 96 harness and move the wire for the CEL to the pin on the 97 cluster...pretty simple in theory but those harnesses are usually the band type wire connectors where everything is in one strip...and it can be confusing...

Problem can be that the wires are rearranged such that you may need to move more than one or splice in more than one wire...so what you also need to find out is how many wires you might have to rearrange...one is not a problem...but multiple wires can result in a mess.

I will have another look at it later...Hockey playoffs are on and the Leafs are playing into overtime...:)

haizrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
the seller just got back with me and here is what he said and I quot ( 1997 Ford Explorer 2 door 4x4 4.0 V-6 automatic transmission. The VIN # 1FMDU24E2VUB40148 )

haizrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I understand, I decided to watch me some movie's tonight and saw where the seller replied back to me, figured I post it before I forgot.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Saw something interesting on the 1997 Explorer wiring
There is an "early" and "later" instrument cluster as far as CEL(MIL) wire is concerned, in 1997

Seems they used pin 9 on both but change connectors, C288(early) or C287(later)

Same pink/green stripe wire

The connector "numbers" should be on the back of the cluster, on circuit board

From VIN the build date is 09.12.1996, so my guess would be early so C288 pin 9

I posted a 1996 Ranger instrument wiring diagram in this thread: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170544

Below is the 1997 Explorer wiring, look at MIL(CEL), early and late

Attachments

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
From what you and ron D said it looks like MIL or CEL is pin 9 on the 97 explorer cluster, However, mine it seems is wired up for the 96 ranger with no tach. Now if ron D is correct and the wire is pink with a green strip, or vise versa on the 96 ranger that shares the same pin, then which wire to switch.

and also what confuses me is there are three connectors one long white, one black and one white that's short. which of theses connectors is this pin 9 connected too. Because I don't want to be messing around with the wrong wires. I'm sorry to be asking theses questions but I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. I was able to brake down the truck and put it in but rewiring a harness is above my knowledge. and again thanks for the help, I hope this thread can help someone in the future as well.
EDIT: I just counted the number of wires in each connector...the smallest one has 10 and that is the one that has the CEL/MIL socket...the others have 12 and 16 from what I counted so just look for the smallest connector...I think that was the black one on my 96.

***** Previous message *********

I missed this too...but, essentially, you can usually trace the light to the connector via the printed circuit but without having one of these in front of me I'd be at a loss for exactly what to look for.

Find the CEL/MIL socket (you can tell where it plugs in by where the light is on the dash) and see if you can follow the printed circuit back to the connector where it gets the signal from.

Short of that...again get a circuit tester ($15 last time I bought one) and go through the lights with the connector plugged in (if possible) and see where the lights are...take a picture of the dash pod with the key on and all the lights lit up so you can tell approx where they are located and keep it as a reference...then disconnect the pod and use the circuit tester on the pin you find as belonging to the CEL...turn the key and watch for the light show...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals