• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

check engine light comes on when placed into 4x4

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Both my 87s have a spot for a check engine, never seen it light up on either. Rusty 2.0 is an early 87, rusty the original is a late 87.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Even the early 2.9 trucks didn't have them. I think they were added in 88? Definitely not there in 86.
87 or 88, I lean towards '88. Electronically a lot of 2nd gen was starting to bleed in.
After sampling a huge number of 86-88 Rangers and B2s the answer to this is "It just depends".

California trucks all had the CEL. A lot of non-CA ones from 86 and 87 had it, a lot didn't. Some 88s didn't.

My 87 came with the CEL "not equipped". The slot in the back of the cluster was covered over and you couldn't even put a bulb in. I cut the patch out of the PCB and installed a bulb/holder, and it worked with no other modification, so all the wiring and software are definately there.

My 88 had the slot open and a holder in it, but no bulb. Can't say if it left the factory like that, but that's how it came to me.

The cluster that I replaced that one with was from an 87 and it was the same way.

The biggest pattern that I have noticed is the tach clusters seem to be CEL ready, and the non-tach clusters don't.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Without seeing it live... it almost looks to me that maybe one light is illuminating and bleeding into the companion chamber. From the picture one is bright... the other is considerably dimmer. I would get in there and verify that there are actually two bulbs illuminating.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Without seeing it live... it almost looks to me that maybe one light is illuminating and bleeding into the companion chamber. From the picture one is bright... the other is considerably dimmer. I would get in there and verify that there are actually two bulbs illuminating.
That's what it looks like to me too, and the lens with the letters sometimes sticks to the bezel and not the cluster like it's supposed to.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals