• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheapskate Lowering

Randarial

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Manual
I've heard quite a few ideas. But i'm wondering what the cheapest way to get 2-3 inches of drop all around. I could care less about ride quality. Just don't want any death camber. I have a 97 2WD extcab by the way.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Cut your springs by a coil or 1 1/2 coils. Then you'll need to get new camber bushings to compensate for the angle change.

In the back you can flip your hangars for the cost of 8 bolts, nuts, and lock washers, plus the time it takes to grind off the rivets that hold the hangar in place.

That'll get you 2" front and back. The only thing spent is MAYBE $5 on bolts, nuts, and washers.

Other than that... You're going to need to go with beams and a flip kit.

Or bags...

And then a notch...

And then a chopped up frame.

Are you sure you couldn't care less about ride quality? Dropping your truck even 2" can make even the slightest bumps hell on your shocks. When the shocks can't function right, your spine takes up the rest of the bump. So, unless you want to hurt your back on every little bump, I recommend spending the money on some shorter shocks to help with keeping your truck planted on the road when those bumps come around.

I raised my truck back up after a year of having it lowered because I got tired of it riding too rough. At first, I didn't care either.

Last edited:

Randarial

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Manual
I really could care less about ride quality. I'm 18 & dumb. Hahaha

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Think about this though...

Wouldn't it be great if someone rode in your lowered ranger and liked how it rode... So that they decided to do the same thing?

Give it some thought. Nobody really likes hanging out with a young dumb kid when it turns out they're not into improving their car that they normally boast about.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford

Wouldn't it be great if someone rode in your lowered ranger and liked how it rode... So that they decided to do the same thing?
if you drive a modded vehicle disappointing other people that you dont drive a cadillac isnt an issue

Randarial

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Manual

Give it some thought. Nobody really likes hanging out with a young dumb kid when it turns out they're not into improving their car that they normally boast about.
I do see the logic in this. But everything i do to my truck is because I like it. Appreciate the input though buddy. Oh & i should've said STUBBORN not dumb haha

Thanks for the link slammed :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

'95 ranger

09/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1989, 200
Make / Model
Subaru, FORD
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3, 4.OH
Transmission
Manual
well if you're REAL dumb, you could do this for free!

That's my old truck. I took the middle leaf spring out. I don't suggest it.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I do see the logic in this. But everything i do to my truck is because I like it. Appreciate the input though buddy. Oh & i should've said STUBBORN not dumb haha

Thanks for the link slammed :icon_cheers:
I see where you're coming from now. I had the impression that you just wanted your truck to scrape speed bumps and not have any kind of suspension.

I know of an s-10 around my town that has the frame LITERALLY sitting on the axle with pretty much no springs.

The guy has turned it into a permanent convertible, and it looks really stupid. It sounds even worse.

I'm just glad you're not THAT guy.

Army

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I really could care less about ride quality. I'm 18 & dumb. Hahaha
When you get to 50 like me, you will relish a smooth ride while you're still young and have a strong back.

Save your pennies, and lower it right the first time. It's a lot cheaper to do it right, than to constantly repair half-baked.

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I'm gonna make my own drop beams. Thats the cheapest way I can do it! That and flip the rear axle to on top of the springs. I'll post pics if I ever get around to it. To many projects!

joemac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I spent $30 on a used flip kit and took a coil and a half off my springs to get a 2/4. The rear sits around 3/4 to an inch low but it doesn't look that bad. This is about as cheap as you can get without butchering something. I will do beams in the future.

My ride didn't get that bad at all, in fact I am hard pressed to even tell a difference but new shocks are on my list anyway so...

coreygohn1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
you want cheap? buy ubolts with 4" drop blocks (40$) and cut or torch your springs.

Did it on a cavalier years ago and it felt stiff as hell in the back and mushy in the front.
your bushing may also go out and your tires might wear from the inside but i guess you'll look cool doing it lol
If you want real low flip your leafs (when you drive it'll loook like you have hydrolics lol). Just kidding do not flip your leafs

joemac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What are blocks going to do without flipping your rear? Putting the torch on leaf springs isn't the safest idea, I'm not sure I would recommend that to anybody.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals