• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheap Snorkel

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, guys. I know Kelly88 wanted to see this, and I guess I'm a little late, but I had the truck apart today to replace the air filter and decided to post this up. This is how I made my snorkel on my 1997 2.3L. All the parts I got from Lowe's for about $20. I used black PVC drainage pipe. I also used PVC glue to make all connections water-tight. The stock airbox (for atleast the 2.3L, maybe other engines) has an inlet tube that is 2"OD, so it worked well when connected to a 2" 90deg elbow.

First, I cut a 2.5" hole in the top of the airbox, where I would mount a bypass vent so that when I was on the road, I wouldn't get completely horrible gas mileage. I then notched a 3" threaded end so it would fit over the box, and drilled holes for 4 small angle brackets. I sealed it with gasket maker. Then I put a cap on it, which can be removed without tools on the trail.

Finished vent:

Next, I cut a hole in the fender with a 2.5" hole saw where I wanted the snorkel to enter. I pretty much followed the axis made by the A pillar, and found a place on that line that didn't have anything interfering behind it.

Then, I used a piece of 2" solid tube and a piece of 2" flexible PVC hose, connected with a 2" couple, to make the passage behind the fender. I put the flexible down by the air box, because it needed to make a slight bend there to allow the fender to be reinstalled.

At the end of this, I put a 90deg elbow and a female threaded coupling, angling it so it fit perfectly against the hole I drilled. Afterwards, I found that it would have been better to put a male threaded coupler there instead, which is probably what you would want to do.

Then, I made the upper portion of the snorkel. I put a male threaded coupler on a 90deg elbow, which would insert into the port on the fender.

I then measured as much tubing as I would want. At the top of the snorkel, I installed a 45deg elbow, a 2"->3" coupler, and then a round rain cap which was made for 3" pipe. I then made a bracket out of steel stock, clamping onto the tube with a 1/4" bolt. I then drilled a hole in the A-pillar, outside of the rubber seal, and screwed it down with a machine screw.

I have found this setup to be very reliable. The threaded coupler in the fender is nice because the snorkel can easily be taken off in two pieces if necessary. I have ran in water up to the head lights in this with no problems.

The only problem I encountered was the 90deg elbow behind the hole in the fender was big, and I needed to bash in the inner fender a little with a sledge hammer to get it to fit. Nothing important (I think) was in the way, so it worked fine.

Happy wheeling!
Colin.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A sewer cleanout for a bypass vent?

Effective, but funny as heck.

Have you measured mileage and 0-60 acceleration with the bypass in place? Two inches ought to be plenty just to pass it. Air alone can turn 90 deg curves a whole lot better than air/fuel can.

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, I haven't done any MPG testing or nothing. Hell, I might've driven the truck about 100 miles since I put that thing on.

Well, everyone told me "your mileage will suck, your mileage will suck." With that firmly implanted in my brain, I tried to find the easiest route to fix that. :rolleyes: And that PVC stuff is just so cheap... :D

...and 0-60 acceleration with the bypass in place?...
Man, that's funny as all get out! Top speed in this beast is around 55MPH.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Top speed in this beast is around 55MPH.
Why so bad?

I can get 75 MPH even out of that POS Chevy in my signature. 3.73 gears, no overdrive, and a 1 5/16 single-barrel carburetor.

Now it may have a 0-60 over 30 sec, but it DOES get there.

Something is wrong.

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Unless it's floored, it never seems to have enough power to get to OD. If I got a little hill or something, I can get it into OD and then run maybe around 65MPH, but if another hill comes along, it's back to 50. The engine is just too weak for the big tires and shallow gears, I think.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is nothing wrong with driving around in low gear if that's what it needs. 2.3Ls redline well over 5000 RPM. Odds are you have a LOT of room before you get there.

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
It's an auto, I just go with the flow. I'm a slow driver, so it doesn't really matter. It just goes to the lake and the field and the mud hole, so I live with it fine,

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you're driving so far below the powerband as your comments suggest, you will be in for a big mileage improvement if you try to manage it properly.

It's an OHC. It was meant to spin fast.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals