• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheap mods for better performance or looks?

AZRANGERDUDE99

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 v6 flex
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Built not bought
I love having a new mod to do to my 2000 Ford Ranger xlt 3.0 flex. I've ran out of simple stuff to do. I was looking into doing a MAF mod? Any other ideas someone could give me?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Best change is to switch from mechanical fan to electric fan, better HP and MPG, very few things can give you BOTH

Some info on that in this section of the How-to area: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-heating.shtml

Contrary to popular opinion no car maker detunes their engines for lower power, lol
You can have your engine computer tuned for YOUR personal driving habits

The 3.0l Vulcan engine is a high RPM design, in 2000 it makes best power(torque) at 3,650 RPMs, so you need to keep RPMs high if you want power
Most engines have best power at 2,500 RPM, thats their design, so if you drive the 3.0l Vulcan like a regular engine it will be gutless

3.0l Specs here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/3_0performance.shtml

Last edited:

AZRANGERDUDE99

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 v6 flex
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Built not bought
I’ve heard a lot of mixed emotions on that one, one because it takes away from electrical power two because they don’t cool as well i don’t know if that is true just some reading I have done but I will definitely take a look

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
With your engine running your alternator puts out more than enough power for an electric fan. It's essentially free power. A clutch fan drags on the engine, while electricity is already being produced with or without an electric fan. A proper sized electric fan will absolutely cool as well or better than a clutch fan. Very few modern vehicles use engine driven fans anymore for those reasons. The only reason they came from the factory with a clutch fan is because a mechanical fan is about 90% cheaper to manafacture than an electronic fan.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Watch out. When asking for simple mods like you just did be prepared for a bunch of haters. Apparently its not ok to modify your own truck because others feel like they need to be right.... i.e. don't buy a cold air intake or an exhaust (you'll hear nothing but bad news like I did). I have the same engine as you (1999 3.0 with flex fuel) and I'm pretty sure there's a good majority of people on here that cant stand what I have to say because I want to do things my own way. This site is really helpful for the most part. Get past the trolls and shit stirrers and you'll like it.

AZRANGERDUDE99

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 v6 flex
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Built not bought
Watch out. When asking for simple mods like you just did be prepared for a bunch of haters. Apparently its not ok to modify your own truck because others feel like they need to be right.... i.e. don't buy a cold air intake or an exhaust (you'll hear nothing but bad news like I did). I have the same engine as you (1999 3.0 with flex fuel) and I'm pretty sure there's a good majority of people on here that cant stand what I have to say because I want to do things my own way. This site is really helpful for the most part. Get past the trolls and shit stirrers and you'll like it.
Thanks and I already got a CAI and exhaust haha I think it helps but if It didn’t it looks and sounds better

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I’ve heard a lot of mixed emotions on that one, one because it takes away from electrical power two because they don’t cool as well i don’t know if that is true just some reading I have done but I will definitely take a look
Yes it uses electricity from alternator, but here's the part that's good about that
When you are driving at 30+ MPH the air being FORCED thru the radiator is more than any fan can provide, so an e-fan would shut off, nothing for it to do so alternator load is gone.
And you have the extra power of no mechanical fan when you need it, while DRIVING
When you are driving slow, in traffic, or stopped, you don't need the extra power and e-fan comes on to do the cooling
So win-win

When people talk about the electrical draw they are not considering when e-fan would be used, they think its like a mechanical fan, on all the time after engine warms up, but fan is there to PULL air thru the radiator to cool it, which is no longer needed when your speed is PUSHING air thru radiator

Wind speed scale rates 32–38 mph as High wind, moderate gale, near gale, so enough air for cooling :) ,
39–46 mph Gale force
73 MPH is hurricane winds, lol

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Thanks and I already got a CAI and exhaust haha I think it helps but if It didn’t it looks and sounds better
As long as YOU are happy with it ? everybody else

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There is a difference between doing you and doing pointless.

An aftermarket cold air system is an expensive setup that replaces a factory cold air system and often ends up brining warmer air into the engine.

Same with aftermarket exhaust. If you buy a "performance" exhaust you often don't end up with more power.

These are modifications that are the functional equivalent of buying a bread slicer and a pre-sliced loaf in the same transaction.

Now I have bought exhausts for appearance, but I never expected them to net me any power.

I know when I advise people against the purchase or installation of these kinds of things that I'm not saying "Oh you are dumb if you do that" because I think stock is best. I am trying to warn them that these kits don't do what that person seems to think they do, and make sure they know that the intake, engine, and exhaust are a system that will perform best when they are a matched set. I assume Ron is coming from the same place, given the things I've seen him post.

There are benefits to be had from both intake and exhaust changes, but only if the engine has been modified as well to be able to take advantage of them. What does it matter if your inlet and outlet can both flow 800 CFM if you pump can only flow 400?

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Yeah, there is a big difference between whether a given mod makes you happy or whether it actually makes more power or improves performance.

If your "cold air" tube opens under hood, it may look cool and make you feel good, but it's pulling in hot air and killing power - the latter is something that can be quantified and it doesn't change regardless of how you feel about it. When people who don't have experience consider these mods because they've heard other talk about them, it's reasonable to point out how they work (or don't) and what the real effect is, but this tends to get other people mad.

Lincoln introduced the first thermostatically controlled air cleaner in 1956, because a carb needed a constant air temp to hold its tune. They used a tube pulling air off the exhaust manifold and another pulling air from outside the engine compartment. Carburated cars used that setup for decades. Once EFI came in the air temp didn't have to be controlled, only measured, and they used only a cold air inlet from outside. So basically this has been worked out for over 60 years, but companies still make a good buck selling "performance" parts to defeat it.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Jesus Hyundai. CHRIST.. How many times are ya'll going to explain cold air intakes. Talk about beating a dead horse. This is exactly what 91stranger was talking about. ???

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Jesus Hyundai. CHRIST.. How many times are ya'll going to explain cold air intakes. Talk about beating a dead horse. This is exactly what 91stranger was talking about. ???
In this thread, probably only 6 or 7 more times. Maybe.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
In this thread, probably only 6 or 7 more times. Maybe.
It's become a thing. Mention Cold air intake, and get a science lesson on combustible engines. Getting pretty ridiculous fellas.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
We could switch to those "performance chip" things....

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's become a thing. Mention Cold air intake, and get a science lesson on combustible engines. Getting pretty ridiculous fellas.
I agree, it is ridiculous. 150 years into the internal combustion engine. 100 years into automobiles, 50 years into controlling intake temps for optimum performance, 35 years into EFI, and people still do not understand how it works, or that any "free power" has already been taken advantage of by the designers and manufacturers. This is wipe your butt after you poop level stuff that shouldn't need to be explained six times in six different threads every day because people should already know that all new cars built since 1985 have had a true and proper cold air intake from the factory and that stupid K&N hot air pipe isn't going to give them any more go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals