• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheap Engine and Trany swap.

dracosix9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking at doing an engine and tranny swap in my 86 RWD ranger longbox. I'm going to make a full rebuild project out of this so I'm looking for some input as to a good choose of cheap w/high replacement part engine and trany combination to rebuild and put into my truck.

I plan on eventually getting a newer 4x4 ranger as time goes on, but I think I'll start with the engine and trany in the RWD first with plans to swap it to the 4x4 after a total remodel of the 4x4. Thinking of fully independent front and rear suspension with a tube frame.

dracosix9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think I'm getting my hands on a 302 for next to nothing, A case a beer and I have to pull it out of the car. The guys not sure if he's got any 302's left in his home wrecking yard, lol. imaging an 3 area farm with nothing but rusted out beater's for as far as the eye can see with a sign that say's "a case a beer, goes a long way 'round here." Sometimes it pays to have rednecks for friends.

Now the question is what tranny do I bolt onto the back of a 302 if i get my hands on it. I've read on here and other sites of guy bolting all sorts of tranny's to 302. the T-5 seems to be the most common but is it really the best or is it just a really common ford tranny?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
both for those that want a manual. fits well, handles the 302 good, great parts availability, and common enough to be relatively cheap. that would be my pick for sure.

steve63

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 302/T-5 combo sounds good,but if you got the 7.5 rear axel it may not last to long if you get happy with youre right foot,might wanna look for a 8.8 rear axel out of a second gen ranger.

MikeInID

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I seem to hear about c-4 automatics being used more often than other trannies as far as ranger swaps go. Very simple, cheap and bulletproof.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals