• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheap 2" lift on 1987 4x4 ford ranger

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey I've got a 1987 4x4 ranger with the 2.9 and a4ld auto transmission. It's due for some new tires soon and I'm considering adding a bit of lift to it along with some larger tires. I've read I should be able to fit 31" tires after a 2" lift but curious to hear what anyone here has to say about that. This is not a truck I'm trying to dump money into and it seems like the cheapest and safest way to add a little height would be some 2" front coil spacers and a 2" add-a-leaf kit for the rear. I've seen a kit that comes with everything necessary for just under $100. With only 2" of lift I should still be able to get a proper alignment and avoid getting any new parts like longer brake lines, shocks, drop arms etc.. I'm wondering if anyone could tell if my rear suspension is stock based on a photo. The leaf springs are already sitting on blocks and I want to confirm they're stock and that I won't run into any compatibility issues when I have my rear axle on the ground trying to throw a new leaf in the pack. This will be my first time adding a leaf. Thanks!
Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 2.09.59 PM.png

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Those are the stock Ford blocks under those leaf springs. 2” coil spacers on the front would be absolute max and you may or may not be able to get camber adjusted far enough. I’ve read of people doing it. But that’s no guarantee. You will need different adjustment bushings. Depending on what you want to use the truck for, a body lift may be a suitable option. Or, do 1” spacers and 1” body lift.

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Those are the stock Ford blocks under those leaf springs. 2” coil spacers on the front would be absolute max and you may or may not be able to get camber adjusted far enough. I’ve read of people doing it. But that’s no guarantee. You will need different adjustment bushings. Depending on what you want to use the truck for, a body lift may be a suitable option. Or, do 1” spacers and 1” body lift.
I would need different adjustment bushings for even a 2" lift? From what I read in the suspension lift section on this website they say 2" is the most you can lift this generation of ranger and still be able to get the camber correct. You're saying that is only with different adjustment bushings? With a 1" lift you can use the stock bushings? Thanks for the response!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I was going to say, on the full size trucks with this suspension, 1.5 inches lift is about the max you can go and still get it in alignment. I don't have any experience with the rangers but 2 inches sounds borderline to me. And you would definitely need aftermarket bushings turned to the max.

You could always do the dreaded body lift. I just put new body bushings on my Bronco II. What a job that turned out to be. Rusted bolts, rusted out frame brackets that needed repair, etc. But it corners like a slot car now with those harder plastic bushings. I do get a bit more road noise though.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I would need different adjustment bushings for even a 2" lift? From what I read in the suspension lift section on this website they say 2" is the most you can lift this generation of ranger and still be able to get the camber correct. You're saying that is only with different adjustment bushings? With a 1" lift you can use the stock bushings? Thanks for the response!
You would definitely need different adjustment bushings. I’m not sure stock bushings are adequate for 1”. I don’t think they are.

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Alright thanks for the input, it sounds like I might have to rethink a lift all together at this point. 1" might not be worth the hassle and I don't really want to get stuck with bad camber. Curious to hear from more people if anyone has done a 2" lift with a ranger of this generation and had success with an alignment afterwards.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
2.5 to 3 inches of lift is the general ceiling if you are starting with zero and 1/4 bushing's..

The 2plus deg d 28 bushing's have some play if you upgrade arms..... You use 150 arms and slide the radius arm brackets back...you have to drill some new holes...

I ran 150 coils and arms for many years when I tough trucked and sled pulled

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
2.5 to 3 inches of lift is the general ceiling if you are starting with zero and 1/4 bushing's..

The 2plus deg d 28 bushing's have some play if you upgrade arms..... You use 150 arms and slide the radius arm brackets back...you have to drill some new holes...

I ran 150 coils and arms for many years when I tough trucked and sled pulled
So in your opinion if I just stuck with a 2" lift (coiler spacer in front, add a leaf in rear) and kept everything else stock I could get proper camber with an adjustable camber bushing?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have the Daystar 2" spacers in the front of my '88 and was able to align it. I do have a D35 front axle in it though, I don't know if or how that affects the selection of available bushings vs the D28 you have. I think you will be able to align it with 2" spacers.

Body lift is another option if you are just looking for cheap tire clearance and don't want to deal with a $250 alignment.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@RustyDusty ,
Yes, a 2" body lift is an option; when I first put 29.5's on my four wheel drive 1987 Ranger a 4" body lift was the ticket.

A factory Ford Hi-Rider suspension lift is worth considering. While they are not the most common setup, I've spotted a few in wrecking yards, that is where I grabbed mine

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have the Daystar 2" spacers in the front of my '88 and was able to align it. I do have a D35 front axle in it though, I don't know if or how that affects the selection of available bushings vs the D28 you have. I think you will be able to align it with 2" spacers.

Body lift is another option if you are just looking for cheap tire clearance and don't want to deal with a $250 alignment.
Thanks that is helpful. This pair of adjustable bushings are for a d28 axle and the description mentions they're needed for 1" and 2" coil spacers.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Dana-28-Adjustable-Alignment-Bushings-Pair/productinfo/93530/

I'm feeling more confident now with going forward with the 2" lift and some adjustable camber bushings similar to the ones listed. All the bushings on my rear leaf springs are shot to hell and my truck creaks every which way it moves. Looking forward to replacing those when I do the add-a-leaf. I have a spot where I usually get my alignments done that's less than $100 but I'm guessing I'll have to take the truck into a shop thats focused more on 4x4 vehicles to make sure they know how to handle the new camber bushings. Should I install the new bushings and try to set the camber best I can or would it be better to just bring the new bushings into the shop and have them install?

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
@RustyDusty ,
Yes, a 2" body lift is an option; when I first put 29.5's on my four wheel drive 1987 Ranger a 4" body lift was the ticket.

A factory Ford Hi-Rider suspension lift is worth considering. While they are not the most common setup, I've spotted a few in wrecking yards, that is where I grabbed mine
How much did you end up paying for it at the junkyard? I feel like adding up all the pieces I'd end up paying most of what the kit would cost new at the junkyards here in California haha.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have always let the shop drop the bushings in but that has just been my preference. They have always been able to use fixed degree bushings on my trucks.

You are not going to find a High Rider lift easily - they're out there but pretty rare. I have only ever seen two in the wild. If you do run across one, it should be pretty cheap, because they probably will not know what they have... nor will most other people. The unique components for that are the rear springs, front springs, radius arm drop brackets, axle drop brackets, pitman arm, and the front sway bar if you care to have it. It is good for about 2" of lift in the back and exactly 1.5" in the front.

If you want to pony up some cash, James Duff sells a 3" lift that is very similar for $900. Way better quality than any other brand on the market.

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have always let the shop drop the bushings in but that has just been my preference. They have always been able to use fixed degree bushings on my trucks.

You are not going to find a High Rider lift easily - they're out there but pretty rare. I have only ever seen two in the wild. If you do run across one, it should be pretty cheap, because they probably will not know what they have... nor will most other people. The unique components for that are the rear springs, front springs, radius arm drop brackets, axle drop brackets, pitman arm, and the front sway bar if you care to have it. It is good for about 2" of lift in the back and exactly 1.5" in the front.

If you want to pony up some cash, James Duff sells a 3" lift that is very similar for $900. Way better quality than any other brand on the market.
There is an interesting looking ranger on the website of a junkyard out here, I'm curious if there's a chance its a high rider.
Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 1.44.29 PM.png

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There is an interesting looking ranger on the website of a junkyard out here, I'm curious if there's a chance its a high rider.
View attachment 83298
They were only present on STX trucks and only a small percentage of those had the lift components.

If you click on the link in my signature (1988 Ranger High Rider - info thread here) you can view some pictures of what to look for... I took one apart and took pictures of everything compared to a normal truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals