• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changing out transmission crossmembers. Any advise?

Manitoman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I had a little mishap and bottomed out my ranger and really messed up my stock transmission crossmember and bent up the frame mounts for it by the old rubber bushings. So I found another mount from a '91 3.0L 5speed that mounts to the frame directly and eliminates the old setup with bushings. I'm told you need to grind/drill out the steel rivets (3) on the old mounts and remove the mount/crossmember completely. The '91 crossmember bolts into the old holes where the rivets where, and one extra bolt hole needs to be drilled on frame bottom. Has anyone ever done this "swap"? It sounds easy enough, if the holes truly line up and the transmission is being held in the right place. Thanks everyone.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It has been done. If you do a search of our forum, you will see that this has come up abunch of times. It's just that nobody has done a tech article on it yet.

Should be pretty straight-forward. If your frame is relatively rust-free, the rivets can be a bit of a pain to remove. Best method I know is to use a cut-off wheel and cut slots in the heads of the rivets. Then use a chisel to break the remaining part of the river heads free. After that, a punch and good sized hammer will eventually push the rest if the rivet out if the hole. I use a 3 lb hammer for that last part.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^+1
Plus i then drill out one hole in frame and crossmember to 1/2" on each side. Bolt it in snugly and then drill out the other holes one at a time and install bolts and snug up as you go. I like to find bolts long enough that the shank engages the hole, not the threads. Use washers to take up shank length if necesary. Ive always used grade 8 bolts but grade 5 are adequate. Then go back and torque the bolts. A dab from a paint pen on the head and nut to frame will tell you at a glance if anything is coming loose.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Used grinders and punch/hammer, as well as air chisels for rivet removal. Air chisels are definitely the way to go, much cleaner.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
3 rivets a side.

It will change your driveline angle slightly too.

There is a few different variants, the older ones that bolt to the inside of the frame are the highest, the one outside the frame (later TTB like Explorer era) are in the middle and your dogbone style is the lowest.

Manitoman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone. I'm going to do it and probably keep records of the project so maybe it can help someone else. 85_Ranger4x4, I can tell you for sure my driveline is angled so bad right now it's hitting the body! This will be the first step to finding out if I more issues:mad:. BTW, the one I found is from a '94 Explorer, I hope it fits.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals