• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

changing out key cylinder?

Barton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I know this is an older threat but I lost my keys a while back and it really frustrated me. However, I called the local locksmith and they came out, test fitted some of their keys, found one that worked perfectly and just copied it.

So it's really easy to get another key for your truck if you end up losing it. I got them to make me two copies.

Cacher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I worked in a lock shop for many years and I can honestly tell you that when it comes to ignition replacement Ford made life easy for us. Keep in mind I quit there when they came out with their transponder keys.

Drilling out one of the Ford locks means getting past two small hardened roll pins in the face of the lock, and then you can drill just enough to get it to turn to the on position-this is how the locks are removed. Once in the on position they have a small steel pin that sticks out the bottom, and you can actually push up with a ice pick through a hole in the sterring coloumns shroud bottom hole and you will feelthe pin "give" and pull the lock straight out-slowly and carefully. Inserting the new cylinder is the same-have it turned to the on position and slide straight in slowly and firmly. When completely seated in the hole slowly turn it back towards you and pull out the key. You know have a new ignition replaced.

This key has ten cuts to it, thus the "ten cut" Ford key. If I remember correctly the last five cuts, and lock wafers, are for the door portion of the key lock-the first (from the tip) five are the ignition.

Almost Forgot------->get a 9" piece of coat hanger and wire your spare key up under your truck on a single key ring where nobody can see it, and DONT say where it is located at. I have had one under my truck for years and it has saved me $, and a lot of grief by being able to crawl under my truck for a spare key I never have to worry about not having in that urgent mokment of need.

The later keys that have the transponder in the head of the key costs buckoo bucks because this transponder is actually a small crystal radio with a very, very, tiny chip you can actually see in its glass vial. The item is in a small glass tube located in the head of the key. Look closely at the top of the key and you will see a small plastic square plug, this is wher ethe transponder is located at, and stuffed into the plastic head of the key.

Last edited:

Shinchin5520

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its not that big of a PITA... i just had to do it to my 92. You can have the dealer cut you a key. It should not be much 10 bucks tops.. take the title and registration with ya.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Friend and I went to the junk yard and one of the priorities was to get ignition and door locks that use only one key to replace mine which has a different ignition key than the doors.
After the first door, it took like 30seconds to remove it from the other door.
Took about 30seconds to remove it from the ignition. Using the keys.

This was off a 95 Mazda, I assume it'll be just as easy on my 95 Ranger ?

Buddha62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
changing the lock if you lost the key

i had the same problem. $80 for the locksmith or $100 of he came out to the truck.

instead i did some research online and found a couple of sites and videos on lockpicking. you can buy a for lockpick set for about $25 or you can try making your own.
i was lucky enough to have a friend who had a "jiggler" lockpick set. i used a #4 and #5 pick. with these you put them in use some pressue and wiggle till it turns.
On mine, i found an eve easier way, i told my roomate that she couldnt pick the lock cus she wasnt smart enough. 10 minutes later it was done and i then pulled the cylinder in 2 minutes and put in the new one.
never underestimate the power of telling a woman no!!

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
The dealer will make you a new key, It was around 40 bucks for a new key for my 97 Ranger.

My brother had lost the keys, and it sat for about a year.

We called up the local ford dealer, brought in ID and Title.

Voila, New keys.

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
if you get me a keycode from ford ill cut you all the keys you want next time I'm at the repo office. no transponders though

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
All these years and replies to this thread and nobody knows how to break a pre-PATS ignition cylinder...? The lock is weaker than the column, just ruins the lock cylinder.

All you need is, any similar key or flat screw driver, and a pair of channellock pliers... POP!

New matched ignition/ door locks are available cheap...

LAJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you think about it...

key codes are going to repeat.
When you realize how many vehicles are out there, they have GOT to repeat.
There are only so many codes a key can have.
Where I worked, my personal key fit one of the company vehicles.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know about the doors; but, the ignition cylinder uses both sides of the key. Four (2, 4, 6, 8) on the top side and three (3, 5, 7) on the bottom. I just got a kit from Ford to replace the ignition cylinder because the chime would not stop dinging (I had the key). If you have the passive anti-theft system and don't have the programmed key you are pretty much out of luck.

ElectraRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 ,2000
Make / Model
Ford ,Ford
Engine Size
2.9 ,4.0
Transmission
Manual
I am with
AllenD my wif and I each have keys for each and every vehicle and spares in the safe , 3 rangers 1 bII 1 mustang 1 motorcycle , I know a lot of keys what can say.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals