• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changing BW4405 T-Case to BW1354 E or M in 95' Explorer

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
As the title said I'm after info. I'm interested in swapping out my Borg and Warner 4405 to a 1354E or maybe a manual version.

I've found 4405's in my area, but after finding the last two to be bad ( Major tail shaft play) I've given up on the junk.

What I do know:
-It will physically go in place of the 4405.
-My explorer has a regular double joint front driveshaft( so it will bolt up to a Rangers 1354).

What I'm not sure on and am hoping for some input from somebody who may have done this:

- Plug for T-Case shift motor. Mine is square and I'm remembering my Rangers being round. I could be wrong.
- Would I need a GEM module from the donor vehicle? So it knows how to operate the new t case?
- From a little google searching there might be interference with the gas tank
- What years of Rangers would be compatible with my 95' GEM module wise.

Now if I decided to go manual:

- Has anyone made a manual shifter work with the explorer center console?
- I'm sure my dash would light up like a Christmas tree without the GEM getting signals from the shift motor etc.
- Also another concern would be the axle disconnect getting the signal to connect when I shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Going manual will set off codes, and not allow the disconnect to function without modifications. The 54 will bolt in place, but you won't be able to use 4x4 on the road as the 54 doesn't have a viscous coupling to allow for slippage. Take the motor off the 05 and bolt it on the 54, it'll bolt right on, same bolt pattern, this will solve the plug interchangeability issue...

SVT

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Going manual will set off codes, and not allow the disconnect to function without modifications. The 54 will bolt in place, but you won't be able to use 4x4 on the road as the 54 doesn't have a viscous coupling to allow for slippage. Take the motor off the 05 and bolt it on the 54, it'll bolt right on, same bolt pattern, this will solve the plug interchangeability issue...

SVT
I should not this isn't an AWD vehicle. It's just 4wheel drive.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

YooperSteeze

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1994/1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0/4.0/4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in the market for a v8 mountaineer and want to swap to a manual case for true 4hi, 4lo and better fuel ecomomy, so I have some interest in this topic. I definitely want to go manual, and my buddy has a bw1356 for me that I know will bolt up, but what you giys are saying about disconnects confuses me. I'm 99% sure that 95+ explorers/mountaineers have no dissconnect, they are a live axle due to the awd configuartions available. Is this not true? And in the case that I'm correct, would the only issue be codes due to no signal from the case?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals