• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changing A/T Filter on 2011 4.0: Anything Unusual?

morsetaper2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
All,

Have had two prior Ranger 3.0's and changed the A/T filters numerous times. Recently purchased a 2011 4.0L and want to do an A/T filter change.

At this time, I have no shop manual. But figure procedure is same as what I did on my '99 & '01 3.0L V6 A/T change procedures, right?

Anything different on 3.0 vs 4.0 A/T filter change? I'm stocked up w/ a filter kit and Mercon-V A/T fluid.

morsetaper2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Did the filter & fluid change today. Same filter on my 3.0. Same transmission too??

I took some measurements and I'm going to machine up a drain bolt fitting and braze it to the A/T pan interior. Why they don't put drain bolts on A/T pans is beyond me.

I stuck a 1/2 inch thick disk of modeling clay inside my pan where I want to put the drain bolt. Pressed the pan in place. There is about .46-.47 inch max clearance (w/o a gasket) where I want to put the bolt/fitting. Once a gasket is included there is a tad more addtl clearance & more than enough room.

Pics of the clay below. Later when I machine and braze the fitting in place, I'll photo that also.

Mark

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Same transmission too??
More or less.

Why they don't put drain bolts on A/T pans is beyond me.
To try and discourage people who are not quite as hardy and stubborn as the average Ranger owner from doing this themselves. Also, so piss me off.

Before going to all that trouble to cut and braze your pan run down to the junk yard and grab the pan off a V6 Explorer, 2002 or up. Pretty much anything with independent rear suspension. That trans is very similar to yours, and the pan might be close enough to just bolt on. It does have a drain plug. I don't know that it will work, but it might be worth a shot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals