• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changing 2000 Explorer cruise control buttons

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, I tried searching earlier today but all I found was the ones that are split between the sides of the steering wheel, my sploder has the fancy climate control junk (I don't like it... I'd rather just have a hot/cold slider than temp control... plus I think the heater core is plugged now...) so it's different.

Looking at an Ebay picture of some buttons for sale it kinda looks like it's just an interference fit in the steering wheel, so just pry it out with something? Is it really that simple? I think the cruise on button is dead or it's something more complicated but if it is that simple I might as well grab spares and try them...

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You're on the right track with prying them out, sounds like a couple of prongs on the backside of the switch:
Post #4

Hope that helps.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Thanks! I didn't dig deep enough to find that one, everyone and their brother seems to have posts and video's about the other styles, both my '98 Eddie Bauer and the '00 Limited have the same steering wheel, I haven't looked close enough at the '97 Mountaineer that's parked in the back for parts but I think that is a '98 up deal, the mountie doesn't have some of the random stuff the other two have too, like the info station...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I picked up a spare button at the junkyard but driving it around today I don't think that's the problem, I think it's either in the clock spring or in the wiring out of the steering wheel... I just noticed the horn buttons don't work... I'm "pretty sure" they worked when I was commuting with the thing... I'll have to dig into it more...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals