• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changed thermostat housing now runs rough

Donthekawguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just changed the housing and sensors last week. I took off the throttle body and idler pulley to get it in and out. The inside of the throttle body was filthy so grabbed a can of what I thought was TB and carb cleaner and gave it a doosh. Also when I installed the new housing I notices the sensors were a different size then the stock ones and the passenger side sensor wouldnt plug in. The part that slides in the groove on the plug were in a littlw different spot. So of course I shaved those off to get the new sensor to plug in. Lol now its hard to start and when I push on the gas it stumbles and dies a few times. After I put it all back together is when I noticed the brake cleaner TB cleaner mix up. I think I'll try taking the TB off and checking things out there first but the sensors have me puzzled. The houaing is the correct one just upgraded to the metal one. The new sensors came with it and you would think they would be the same size as the old ones but they are bigger around.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
...changed the housing and sensors last week
...took off the throttle body and idler pulley to get it in and out
...throttle body was filthy so grabbed a can of what I thought was TB and carb cleaner and gave it a doosh
...sensors were a different size then the stock ones and the passenger side sensor wouldnt plug in
...part that slides in the groove on the plug were in a littlw different
...shaved those off to get the new sensor to plug in
...now its hard to start and when I push on the gas it stumbles and dies
...noticed the brake cleaner TB cleaner mix up
...I'll try taking the TB off and checking things out there first
...sensors have me puzzled
...houaing is the correct one just upgraded to the metal
...new sensors came with it and you would think they would be the same size as the old ones but they are bigger around
GIANT RED FLAGS !!!
Neither your Posting nor Profile say, so assuming you've got a V6~4.0L~SOHC ???
What did you actually spray into the ThrottleBody that was NOT Carb\ThrottleCleaner ???
ElectricalHarness sockets connecting the 2 TempSensors are keyed differently for a good reason; the Sensors are NOT interchangable !!!!
Circuit voltages & resistance ranges of the 2 Sensors are different; one connects to ClusterGauge & the other to the Computer\PCM !!!
Slicing the plastic key(s?) off the Sensor plug(s?) was your 2nd mistake !!!!
What Maker+Vendor is the new Alum ThermoStat Housing & TempSensors; holes may be drilled wrong diameter ???

Click here for more info on swapping from JunkPlastic ThermoStat Housing to Aluminum ThermoStat Housing.

* TempSensor FordMotorCraft# 3L8z12a648ba\dy1004, Gray2pin~PCMControl, 32f0c=104kOhmDecreasesAsTempRises
* TempSensor FordMotorCraft# 3f1z10884aa\ts390, Brown2pin~ClusterGauge, 32f0c=12kOhmDecreasesAsTempRises
* 2ea SensorClips FordMotorCraft# w706800s303

Last edited:

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pictures of your
~ old housing
~ new housing
~ old sensors
~ new sensors
would be helpful here.

Donthekawguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Unfortunately I already tossed out the old housing and sensors. I usually dont screw up this bad. lol

Donthekawguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
06 4.0. Both sensors looked the same like the one on the left. I knew something was wrong when neither one of the old ones fit in the new housing. Guess I'll just take it apart again and replace the housing with a plastic one with another set of sensors. Tried to upgrade to metal and shit the bed. lol Also it was brake cleaner I used on the TB.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We all have bad days; I certainly do.
Don't give up on installing an Aluminum ThermoStat Housing; just don't buy from that same Vendor.
I actually later plugged the ClipMount hole for the Gray (PCM Controls) Sensor,
bought an equivalent ThreadMount Gray Sensor & drilled+tapped a new hole,
so that Sensor was not so tightly located under the ManifoldThroat & not in the way of changing the OilPressurized TimingTensioner.
Also found that a lite smear of RTV on Sensor ORings\Threads makes them seal much better.

Donthekawguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Pretty frustrating since its such a pain to do and by the time I got it all apart I was frustrated and should have walked away after finding the sensor didnt fit. Lesson learned. I'll have to wait to fix it for a couple weeks to fix it and not try to rig it if I dont get the right parts I got it from partsgeek and it probably wouldn't have been a big deal to return it.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll take PartsGeek off my list of vendors on my wiki page for this.
Your hard learned lesson may save the next guy from the same problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals