• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Change filter and fluid opinions.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
My 2009 had only 23,000 on it when I got it about 2 years ago, and now has 28,000. When I got it, it had all the original fluids in it, except for oil/filter, and had sat with only occasional runs for almost 4 years.
I had a coolant flush, new hoses, brake fluid flush due to age, not mileage.
I did not change tranny fluid/filter at the time. Now, thinking about it, BUT, fluid is still as new, bright red, no smell other than what trans fluid smells like. Trans still shifts like it was new, both in OD and with OD off. Service not called for until 105,000, but I normally would have changed it much sooner, like 75,000 or so. I have also added a Derale trans fluid cooler, a big one, just as a preventive measure.
I know trans fluid dosen't really degrade unless it gets hot or filled with particles.
I'm leaning on letting it go as everything works as new, but what would you do...looking for some opinions.
Most of you know that it's basically my hobby/cruising truck, and not a daily driver....so throw your opinions at me.

Last edited:

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'd say you've got it covered, especially with the cooler added. If the fluid is rated for 105K, and you're not giving it severe service or towing heavy loads, you can probably rely on color/odor as an indication of fluid condition,. Maybe run a small amount through a coffee filter to see if there is any particulate matter.

-Jazzer

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
My 09 does not see a lot of mileage, just around town here and there, and has managed to accumulate about 43000 miles. About two months ago I dropped the pan to change the fluid and filter. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was in fine shape, and I probably could have let it go for a while longer. The only thing I had was a bit of black dust (not metal) in the bottom of the pan, nothing to be worried about

If I were you, just keep an eye on the fluid condition and maybe change it at 60,000 miles. However, if it helps you sleep at night, change it. It only took about 4-4.5 quarts of Mercon V which goes for about 35 bucks, and the filter costs less than that.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Thanks for the opinions. I've always been one for preventive maintenance, doing service way before they were necessary. The coolant and brake fluid were still as new, but I know due to age they both degrade. Primary reason was to change out all the hoses due to age. Also did a new thermostat change out.
Trans though, is still as new. I can't see changing it out just due to age.
Always keep an eye out...everything gets checked every other week, so no problem detecting a problem if one pops up.
Retired and have plenty of time, and truck is garaged, so it's no effort to keep it in check.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Being a 2wd that isn't used hard I'd wait and change it at 60k, drain and fill- not a flush, and use Motorcraft fluid. The guys who claim transmission fluid is good for 100k or filled for life only warrantee the trans for 60k before it's your expense when it fails. If you hire it done and don't use a dealer I'd find an independent shop you like and avoid chains like Jiffy Lube, Midas, etc like the plague.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I'd say talk to @19Walt93 or @adsm08 about their opinions since they have serviced these things and have dealt with many transmissions of various conditions in the past.

EDIT: well 19walt93 already just chimed in.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
Being a 2wd that isn't used hard I'd wait and change it at 60k, drain and fill- not a flush, and use Motorcraft fluid. The guys who claim transmission fluid is good for 100k or filled for life only warrantee the trans for 60k before it's your expense when it fails. If you hire it done and don't use a dealer I'd find an independent shop you like and avoid chains like Jiffy Lube, Midas, etc like the plague.
Kind of what I was thinking. Yeah, would only use the Motorcraft stuff, and I have a top notch independant garage I use for stuff I can't do. They even will use the parts I supply.
I usually do my own service, but when it comes to crawling under and draining gallons of coolant and trans fluid, I avoid that mess. Even dropping trans pan is messy doing it from laying under the truck.
Maybe if only I had a pro vehicle lift.........
Thanks.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I hope when I'm retired... I'm not looking to make "work" for myself. LOL

I did mine at 75K when I first bought it. Looked pristine while in there. I'm at 120K now and will probably do it again come spring.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'm a big believer in 30,000 mile fluid changes with transmissions. Walt knows and has seen more that I have. So, he is probably more right than I am. Conversely, I've never seen anything break from doing fluid changes too frequently.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The fluid in my 09 was pretty brown looking by 50k. I flushed a full 12 quarts through it.

Ive been doing quicky pan drains and refills (about 3.5 quarts) every 10,000 miles now. Yea its overkill but it takes 2 minutes. I'll probably actually drop the pan and change the filter again at 80k.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I did a drain and fill with filter change at 60k I think that’s what was in the manual, fluid had a grey hue to. Trans had also been shifting rough when it was cold.

I’ll probably do a drain and fill every 20k now, then filters at 60k.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals