• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Center pre-cat question.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone I have a 2000 ranger with a 3.0 that I have owned for a year or so. I had better exhaust put on it from the catback it sounds really good but I have been having problems with power loss and a tick inside of the center pre-cat. I was wondering if I could just remove that pre-cat and run a straight pipe across there. I don't want to deal with a cel but I know people run dual exhaust on these trucks so they have to get rid of it to do so. If I do this will it trip the CEL? Also what could be in there causing the ticking? Before anyone tells me its not coming from there it is, I have probed every inch of the motor with a stethoscope and have only located it in the center pre-cat. Any info would be great thanks everyone:)

Titan3-71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
its most likely a heat tick seeing as mine does the same thing and the loss of power is either your new muffler is more restrictive than the stock or it is to free and is causing over scavenging of your motor i recommend a intake or larger throttle body

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
The exahaust is over eight months old and the power problems have been taking place for only a few months why the hell do these trucks need all of these cats its rediculous.

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why the hell do these trucks need all of these cats its rediculous.
Emissions laws, even though newer cars burn WAY cleaner then they did say 10-20 years ago they cram more and more cats under them, just more ways for the government to make money off the auto componys.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah the truck came from california so its even worse for emission stuff, does anyone have any idea about just removing that center cat and running a straight pipe across there.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
A company called Random Technology makes a Y-pipe to replace the pre-cats on 4.0 Sport Tracs (I don't know if it would fit a Ranger), the main cat stays, and the people who have them say they don't get a CEL and they pass emissions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals