• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Center console collapse repair

Lakewood ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,
Can you share success with repairing the collapsed center console lid. 2003 Ranger extended cab. Collapsed right where your elbow presses down getting into the seat.
I have it apart and was considering some fiberglass tent poles cut to fit tight then epoxied in place.
any thoughts or other suggested approach?
Thanks in advance
Lakewood Ranger

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
My dad had this problem in his F-150. He used really thin plywood, cut to the shape of the bottom of the lid, and epoxied it place. Eventually he got a better on out of a Navigator. It didn't fit perfect, but was better than the broken one.

Lakewood ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT FX4
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, I'll give it a try

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Multiple
Make / Model
Rangers
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
My credo
I don't subscribe to causes that are compelled by irrational fears.
I don't know if I have the same one as you, I have the thick padded armrest that hinges up to a comparement underneath with a solid plastic lid. My pop broke the armrest hinge and pad then tried to fix it with JB Weld. It held for about a week, then broke again.

I looked at adding a plate to bolster the pad surface from underneath, but ultimately decided to just get a new one on ebay to the cost of about $80. in addition to the pad surface, about 1/3 of the screw tabs used to secure the pad to the armrest had broken and fallen off. I thought it was worth the extra money to just replace the broken part instead of attempting a second repair. I also replaced the armest and hinge with the dorman kit that uses a steel plate instead of the ribbed plastic one. It's considerably beefier and won't fracture when twisted like the plastic plate does due to not having tortional reinforcement ribs.

Lakewood ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks this is helpful.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals