• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cell phone question?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Guys i need a new phone. This one barely charges, the screen is cracked, i can only talk on speaker, and i dont know how many more times i can scotch tape the otterbox.

I want a Cat (as in the people who make dozers) phone...since im hard on shit.

Im looking at the S42 model....will it work on cricket wireless if i buy an unlocked version? I went to the cricket store and the guy wouldnt give me an answer and tried to sell me some fancy girl phone.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
SIM cards are same all over the world, so Cricket SIM card will work in any cell phone

SIM card allows a phone to connect to a specific network, it has a unique ID code that's either accepted or rejected, in this case by Cricket Network, same as the "chip" on a credit or debit card is accepted or rejected by their respective networks

The phone itself has the electronics to connect to local cell sites or wifi or bluetooth, so it has all the antennas and tuners built-in
The SIM "chip" has the login "user name and password", so you can exchange data with cell sites(and someone will pay the owner of the cell site, lol)
Same as entering your home wifi connection password to make the connection and exchange data on that wireless connection

CAT S42 looks like a good choice, just looking at the specs, never owned one
According to current specs its not 5G
Can do 2G, 3G and 4G
These are Generations of data compression and exchange formats, 5G(5th generation) is the latest and fastest method/format to exchange data wirelessly over Cell networks

Most phones are only "locked" if a Network(service) Provider has paid part, or all, of the cost of the phone because you have signed/accepted a 1 or 2 year contract at a minimum monthly charge, so they are "holding the title" to the phone until its paid off, lol
So cell phones don't come "locked", service providers "lock" them until they are paid for, then in most cases you can request the "unlock" code after you have paid the phone off, so it can work with another service providers SIM card

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Flip phones were/are pretty hardy, still have one that works, I can activate its SIM for $5/month added to my account

Pre-COVID, we would have house guests(family) from out of the country visit for a week or 2..........or 3, lol
I would activate the phone so they could use it without paying Roaming fees

Also used it on building sites, years ago, when walkie talkies wouldn't work well

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If your paranoid about your privacy, probably anything but Android phones. Which means an iphone...
Unless you are comfortable using linux.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
SIM cards are same all over the world, so Cricket SIM card will work in any cell phone

SIM card allows a phone to connect to a specific network, it has a unique ID code that's either accepted or rejected, in this case by Cricket Network, same as the "chip" on a credit or debit card is accepted or rejected by their respective networks

The phone itself has the electronics to connect to local cell sites or wifi or bluetooth, so it has all the antennas and tuners built-in
The SIM "chip" has the login "user name and password", so you can exchange data with cell sites(and someone will pay the owner of the cell site, lol)
Same as entering your home wifi connection password to make the connection and exchange data on that wireless connection

CAT S42 looks like a good choice, just looking at the specs, never owned one
According to current specs its not 5G
Can do 2G, 3G and 4G
These are Generations of data compression and exchange formats, 5G(5th generation) is the latest and fastest method/format to exchange data wirelessly over Cell networks

Most phones are only "locked" if a Network(service) Provider has paid part, or all, of the cost of the phone because you have signed/accepted a 1 or 2 year contract at a minimum monthly charge, so they are "holding the title" to the phone until its paid off, lol
So cell phones don't come "locked", service providers "lock" them until they are paid for, then in most cases you can request the "unlock" code after you have paid the phone off, so it can work with another service providers SIM card
I dont care about 5G. As long as i can watch youtube and browse the web im happy. Im mostly into the cat because its rugged and i think its ridculious to buy a 500 dollar phone and then spend 70 on a box to keep it from getting busted

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I had a Casio G’Zone phone years ago... It was a really rugged phone and took a hell of a beating. I don’t know if they still make them.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm a professional speed dialer on that type of phone. Always got through to the radio station... just never in time to win the contest. lol
I’ve seen rotary phones before.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
How’s your vision? Do you need a bigger phone?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Apple products are an acquired "taste"

Their end to end business model rubs some people the wrong way, me for one, lol, just because I have dealt with older companies that had the same end to end model and it was always a pain when sourcing parts or solutions

What end to end means is that a companies product is made in a way that it only works well with that companies other products
iPhones Bluetooth can be an issue, because Apple doesn't own bluetooth, so would prefer if people didn't use it
They were stuck with WiFi but still don't like it
If Apple makes a product like wireless headphones then it will make sure other brands wireless headphones have issues connecting to an iPhone, just little irritations, so when there is a complaint they can suggest trying Apple headphones, and then laying the blame on the "poor quality" of other brands headphones, its not true but what can you do about it, not a thing

Its not a "bad" thing for the company, just the consumer, because the company can say they are doing it because of security control or quality control, they want end to end compatibility, which is not a "bad" thing

It would be like having to use a Ford 12volt battery in your Ford car or truck, some would only use a Ford Battery and be happy about that
Others may want another brand, but it would only start the engine 9 out of 10 times, because its not a Ford Battery, an irritation, and it would eventually start, complaint would be answered by "have your tried a Ford battery?"
Yes, ridiculous example, but the point is valid

I think APPLE makes good products, just don't like the obligations that comes with them

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals