• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CEL comes and goes

Jwbowman0724

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 89 XLT 2.9 5 speed, when I drive it the cel will come on and stay for about 10 minutes then goes out. Does it every time I drive the truck sometimes multiple times in the same trip, I don't have an obd hookup under the dash so I can't scan for codes, I'm just at a loss, anyone have any ideas?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You can get the code(s) by installing a jumper wire on the OBD1 connector in the engine bay and then counting the flashes of the CEL in the cab when you turn on the key

You will need to find the OBD Connector in engine bay, in 1989 its probably on passenger side between fuse box and firewall on the wiring harness

Video here: for what to look for: youtube.com/watch?v=RVbDHOiuKpQ

1989 Ranger will use 2 digit codes NOT 3

2 digit Code list is here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/2digitcodes.shtml

There are no 0's just 1 to 9

Written version here of the video on how to connect jumper and also how to read codes with test light or volt meter: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

If you turn the key off while codes are repeating it will clear them, if you pull out the jumper wire while codes are flashing it won't clear them, your choice

Each code can have different meanings depending on the engine and computer being used
OBD(on board diagnostics) in this case, was developed to be used by Ford techs not DIY mechanics
And the same applies to this day, code definitions are not in "english", lol, they are close but meaning is not always what you may think

i.e. Lean code does NOT MEAN engine is running Lean, it means computers calculations are off, low, so possible vacuum leak

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Or go the easy route and buy this...
942ee448-e9aa-4682-8bdb-9a8005755259_1.26742f5e0dfedbc52c5828ab4144871b.jpeg.jpg

20 bucks online. 30 in the stores. Ive used mine extensivly on my 87.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
does this obd reader need any wire/pigtail to connect it to the truck?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, that reader is for OBD1, 1994 and earlier Rangers, which have a wire connector in the engine bay that plugs into that reader

Connector looks like this: http://assets.mustangandfords.com/f/143084726.jpg?width=620&

But without RED jumper wire installed
It can be on drivers side or passenger side , and may have a cover over it that says "EEC"

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
well, i bought one of those OBD things, just like the one pictured a couple of replies back. followed the directions (there's a first for everything) and am no further ahead.
first time thru it would not believe that i have a 2.9 and said '4 cyl'. i didn't notice that as i was testing so i kept going. got a 41, 74 and 77 code. something with the new O2 sensor, brake switch problem, and operator error-didn't get from passenger side fender to gas pedal fast enough. that's when i saw the 4 cyl light.
took out the batteries to zero the reader and started over. got the 6 cly sign, all code 10 and 11's and nothing else.
i did check the timing with the reader set up; 31 or 32 degrees, which is where it should be. after that it just shut itself off and saved nothing.
tomorrow i will start over.
this truck could drive me to drink, if only it would run well enough to get to the bar!

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
have not had a chance to work on the truck in the last week. but may need it to get to work a couple of days.
can i hook the obd to the plug and leave it there while i drive to work? the cel will come on 5 minutes into the trip but when i turn the motor off, the cel will go out and stay out; when i restart, even if instantly after shutting down, the cel will not come on until i have driven for 5 minutes or so.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
have not had a chance to work on the truck in the last week. but may need it to get to work a couple of days.
can i hook the obd to the plug and leave it there while i drive to work? the cel will come on 5 minutes into the trip but when i turn the motor off, the cel will go out and stay out; when i restart, even if instantly after shutting down, the cel will not come on until i have driven for 5 minutes or so.

That will most likely be the ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor, when you boot up the computer it checks engine temp(using ECT) and then monitors it with a timer if its not showing higher temp after 5min it will turn on CEL and set a code

Maybe the IAT(intake air temp) sensor, does the same thing but for air in the intake which should be warmer as engine warms up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals