• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) CEL Code 172

dtbjan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi folks,
1993 4 cyl 5 speed.
been trying to clear up two problems that I thought were related, but now I think they never were.
I have a semi-regular CEL code 172. I think the code usually doesn't show up until the engine is warm, but it doesn't always show up right when the engine warms up.
I also had a coolant leak and thought they might be related. I fixed the coolant leak (bent hose clamp) but I'm still getting the CEL.
Months ago, I had an issue where the idle would stick high. Someone here recommended that the IAC was the problem. I took it off and cleaned it, and that fixed the idle problem, but not the CEL.
I had a bad coil pack that I replaced which seemed to improve a low power issue, but I still feel like I'm short on power, and I think the fuel mileage is lower than it used to be.
Sometimes when the engine is cold (it doesn't get very cold where I live) I have acceleration issues - bucking when taking off from stop. It clears up when the engine warms up.
I have cleaned the MAF and the throttle body, and I'm getting good fuel pressure. At least I was last time i checked.
Whats the next move to try and diagnose the CEL? My AC compressor shit the bed last summer, and I'd really like to fix the AC before it gets any hotter, but I'd like to get the engine issue fixed before I do that.

Any help is much appreciated,
Duncan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals