• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cd burner burnt out?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so my cd burner stopped working. its just an old cd reader/burner, it reads dvd's. it came in this walmart special idk how many years ago.

i was burning some cd's when it stopped displaying the blank cd's. for awhile if i restarted the computer, it would work again. now it wont show any thing. keeps telling me to insert a blank cd. it opens, the drivers are up to date. ive made sure its plugged in, restarted the comp several times. the cd stills spins, and i know this because i can feel the vibration.

windows says that its working properly, if i insert a ubuntu cd before boot up it just sits there trying to load it, with that black screen and the blinking underscore. ive insterted a disk thats got music on it and it comes up with the blank disk but does nothing, and im on windows 7, if i refresh the disk the green loading bar at the top will come up and slowly finish but yet again nothing really happens?

i know its only 16$ on new egg to replace it with a dvd burner, but id rather not replace it. any suggestions on things to try?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so my cd burner finally started working again after i took it apart and cleaned the lazer with hydrogen peroxide, it got half way through a burn then stopped and told me to plugin a cd burner. i took it out and found a very old cd-writer. probably one of the very first, it was installed in a computer with a 800 mhz processor and a 60 gig fireball hdd.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
That's not that old.... my friend had a 2x2x6 in a Cyrix Compaq 366MHz, and we had an Iomega 4x2x24 in our AMD K6-2 266MHz.....

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'd offer to give you one of the many I've already tossed or the more I'm about to toss, but by the time I shipped it to you it'd be cheaper for you to buy a Shiny New Sony AD7280 DVD burner from Newegg.

does your computer use an IDE or SATA connection to your Burner?

AD

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd offer to give you one of the many I've already tossed or the more I'm about to toss, but by the time I shipped it to you it'd be cheaper for you to buy a Shiny New Sony AD7280 DVD burner from Newegg.

does your computer use an IDE or SATA connection to your Burner?

AD
i can use both ide and sata, the current burner uses ide.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
probably one of the very first, it was installed in a computer with a 800 mhz processor and a 60 gig fireball hdd.
Not even close :)

I've was lucky enough to have a 1x CDrom and 1x CD-R when it came out. It took as long as it did to play the CD as it did to burn it. The 1x CDrom was different, it didn't have a tray per se (caddies were around then sometime in that general time frame), but pressed on the front and the entire drive slid out, then the top opened up to put the CD in it. It also didn't hook into the sound card, but had it's own ISA card with RCA jacks in the back to hook it to a stereo. Some of these drives did plug into the old Sound Blaster card, as they had an IDE controller built into them (I still have one). Sucked when the volume control was on the back of your sound card... Anyone remember the Talking Parrot and Dr. Sbaitso? That was top notch technology then! :D

Edit: WORST PROCESSOR EVER. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals