• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB Radio Installation Help Please

Garageguy60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good morning everyone. I was wanting to hook up my cb radio in my 2004 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab. I wanted to know where to exactly hook up the power wire to (thinking fuse panel) and best place for the ground wire, also where did you guys mount your cb radio's at ? Any info. and pics. on this subject would be appreciated .

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
How you power your CB depends on how you use it. I have mine wired directly to the power, that way I don't have to use the key when I use it. As far as mounting it, I have mine above the rear view mirror. Heres a picture.
16150527309982705859034904628690.jpg
16150527309982705859034904628690.jpg

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
I hit the picture button twice, must be age related.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I agree with "shadowrider", I would wire it fused strait from the battery but as I understand it, your truck has that cool power center under the hood with extra room for add on electronic systems, that could make for an extra clean installation though I would still prefer to leave the ignition switch/system out if the circuit.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I ran a power wire from the battery into the cab on its own 30 amp fuse to a 4 pole "Rig Runner" under the dash. Initially it was setup that way so I could install a couple of other Amateur Radios and a GMRS radio, but I just have the 1 Ham Radio installed right now, got rid of the CB a long time ago, nobody uses them things anymore for the most part unless you are in small groups, many just use GMRS or FRS radios of one type or another for group use. My CB I think I'm going to put back in because its nice to be able to hear truckers and communicate with them but for the most part nobody else uses them it seems anymore. I need to replace my Amateur radio and going to be relocating it so my CB is going where it was, and my Amateur radio I think I'm going to mount to the console I think it got too hot sitting down low on the dash and fried the speaker output as I have no audio from the radio anymore, of course it doesn't help that its a cheap Chinesium radio but still.

For your use with just a single radio, they only require maybe a 10 amp fuse, so just run a power wire direct from the battery with a fuse at the battery, then into the cab to wherever you want to put the radio. I'd stray away from wiring stuff into the fuse panel, its just easier to run a single power wire direct to your accessories.

Attached is what I installed for my radios. But in your case its overkill with only 1 radio. I did that with future radio additions in mind.

Attachments

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I have mine mounted to the driver side of the larger console on my 09 (it has the Pioneer sound package with the subwoofer). I wired it into the circuit breaker that powers my aux fuse panel I added under the dash. It is constant powered, so I know it could drain the battery if I left it on, but I always check it to make sure it is off. (I'll post a pic later)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I have mine mounted to the driver side of the larger console on my 09 (it has the Pioneer sound package with the subwoofer). I wired it into the circuit breaker that powers my aux fuse panel I added under the dash. It is constant powered, so I know it could drain the battery if I left it on, but I always check it to make sure it is off. (I'll post a pic later)
I've left my CB on for 3-4 days a few times, didn't drain the battery, but they don't use much power either unless you are transmitting...but they still use less power than my quad band amateur radio which will pull 50 watts max depending on what power setting I have it set for, when I press that talk button. A CB will only do about 4 watts (legally).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have a digital cb you will lose your channel/squelch settings every time you turn the truck off if you have it hooked up to key power.

I had mine wired that way at the last trail ride, it was incredibly annoying.

I only did it because at the time it was easier to wire up, I have since expanded my "battery power" fuse panel under the hood so I have room to switch the CB over to that. It will be hooked up to the battery for the next trail ride. :icon_thumby:

Garageguy60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks alot Guys , alot of good info. really appreciate it. wildbill23c, where did you purchase that Ridgerunner 30 amp fuse panel at ? thats a good idea. im thinking of also getting and installing some time a Ham radio. whats the advantage/disadvantage of a Ham radio vs. a Amatuer radio ? i dont much about either one of those. just would like to have good back-up communication incase regular cell ever went down. also want to get a good home base unit. any recomendations guys ?? Thanks.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
A CB radio is easier to use. To use a Ham radio, you are required to get a license though FCC. That requires studying a lot of information and passing a test put on by various Amateur Radio Clubs. Once passing the test, you will be issued a call number and should use that when using your radio. Ham radios transmit a lot farther than CBs and are much clearer.

Garageguy60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks 85ranger4x4 for your information on that fuse block, thats pretty neat. Thanks gw33gp for your information on CB and ham radio. I would like to study and find the info. so I can take the test and pass it. You cant have enough back ups, especially in this day and age.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
GMRS radio is kind in between. It has better range than a CB but not as good as a HAM.

The GMRS license is more of a fee, give the govt $70 and they give you a license. I thought I heard it was supposed to drop to $30 at some point.

86isuzu

TRS Member Since 2003
Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Thanks 85ranger4x4 for your information on that fuse block, thats pretty neat. Thanks gw33gp for your information on CB and ham radio. I would like to study and find the info. so I can take the test and pass it. You cant have enough back ups, especially in this day and age.
The HAM license isn't that difficult. I took it a few years ago. The local CERT (Community Emergency Response/Readiness Team) offered a 2 month? course. I'm sure you can find something like that in your area.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals