• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Causes for grenaded T-case?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’m guessing the silver colored fluid that was drained indicates something going severely wrong. No fluid should be silver. The silver color was likely caused by metal particles in the fluid. A whole ship ton. There’s likely a lot of carnage in that case.

I‘ve always used Dex/Mercon III in the 1350 and 1354 cases. That was original spec to my understanding. I fill until it starts dribbling out the fill hole, just like a differential. Technically it’s supposed to be under, but it’s easier to just go until it starts dribbling.

m.dolomieu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m guessing the silver colored fluid that was drained indicates something going severely wrong. No fluid should be silver. The silver color was likely caused by metal particles in the fluid. A whole ship ton. There’s likely a lot of carnage in that case.

I‘ve always used Dex/Mercon III in the 1350 and 1354 cases. That was original spec to my understanding. I fill until it starts dribbling out the fill hole, just like a differential. Technically it’s supposed to be under, but it’s easier to just go until it starts dribbling.
I'll document the carnage when I pull it :cool:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the locating tab on the pump likes to chew things up, and it's right where the failure is.
did the silver stuff stick to a magnet?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
What is the correct fluid these days for a transfer case on these trucks? The tech pages say Mercon ATF, which I assume is Mercon V or equivalent? Or should I be using XL-12?

Also, I put brand new BF Goodrich KO2s 31x10.5 as the truck had from the factory, but I will double check that I didn't put the wrong size on somehow. Definitely going to inspect the u-joints when I get the truck back too.
If it's Ford's transfer case fluid number, XL-12 is Mercon/Dexron III spec not Mercon V. Valvoline Mercon/Dexron III meets the same spec for less money.
As long as all 4 tires are the same diameter- Ford spec is no more than 3/8" difference in circumference- you should be fine.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
What is the correct fluid these days for a transfer case on these trucks? The tech pages say Mercon ATF, which I assume is Mercon V or equivalent? Or should I be using XL-12?

Also, I put brand new BF Goodrich KO2s 31x10.5 as the truck had from the factory, but I will double check that I didn't put the wrong size on somehow. Definitely going to inspect the u-joints when I get the truck back too.
The newer, old Rangers call for Mercon V for the transmission and the transfer case. Before then, it was Mercon III or an ATF based transfer case fluid. I'm not sure when Ford did the switch.

From personal experience, my manual transmission doesn't like the aftermarket Mercon V compatible fluids but the transfer case never seemed to care. Shifting the transmission would get rough and difficult to shift way sooner than it should have with aftermarket but would return to normal once actual Mercon V was put in it. Your's might be different.

From the description of the fluid that came out of the case, it sounds like something was on it's way out.

As far as the tires, they wouldn't have caused a problem. I have 31X10.5R15 tires on my 2011 and never had a problem. Others had done the same with few problems.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mercon LV is not the correct fluid, it takes regular Mercon rated ATF, the cheap ATF found at Walmart or any other parts store is Mercon rated. However I doubt that is what caused your failure, was it ran low on fluid before?

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Per motorcraft.com right now, Mercon LV is the current spec for t-case fluid, and Mercon V is not.

I still put Dex/Merc in everything, because Merc vs. LV to me feels like 5w-30 vs. 5w-20 all over again. Something was built with the older, thicker fluid in mind, and spec was updated to the newer fluid for CAFE reasons. Thinner fluids must test "good enough", but for my money and peace of mind, I'll stick with the original design.

Point is, preferences aside, LV isn't right-out "incorrect".

m.dolomieu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Mercon LV is not the correct fluid, it takes regular Mercon rated ATF, the cheap ATF found at Walmart or any other parts store is Mercon rated. However I doubt that is what caused your failure, was it ran low on fluid before?
It's hard to say since I only have about 300 miles of the 180k on the truck. It's not entirely impossible that I spilled fluid out of the breather connection in the 4ish months of shuffling the case around my garage while I was rebuilding the trans. Hindsight tells me I should've double-checked fluid level before taking it for a spin. Picked up a 94k mile t-case and some Dex/Merc fluid today. Going to check the drive line, but hopefully I learned my lesson.

m.dolomieu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Per motorcraft.com right now, Mercon LV is the current spec for t-case fluid, and Mercon V is not.

I still put Dex/Merc in everything, because Merc vs. LV to me feels like 5w-30 vs. 5w-20 all over again. Something was built with the older, thicker fluid in mind, and spec was updated to the newer fluid for CAFE reasons. Thinner fluids must test "good enough", but for my money and peace of mind, I'll stick with the original design.

I picked up 2qts of Valvoline 789153, hopefully that is the correct stuff.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the locating tab on the pump likes to chew things up, and it's right where the failure is.
did the silver stuff stick to a magnet?
If it's noticeably silver, it's probably fine aluminum particles that wouldn't stick to a magnet. Now it gets interesting. The case is probably aluminum, but most of the guts inside that rotate are probably steel. This was the pattern with Mazda transmissions when I worked for that company's reman operation.

m.dolomieu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Silver glitter did not overwhelmingly stick to a magnet when I waved it through the fluid as it was sitting in an oil catch pan. The truck should be done at the body shop tomorrow, so I may know more this weekend.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
I was going to ask if you found a tcase because there are two on marketplace around me, but i see you found one

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Mercon LV is not backward compatible as per the link you provided. If the original spec was for a previous Mercon product, LV can not be used. As far as I know, 2019 was the first year that LV was specified as the proper fluid for the transfer case in a Ranger. I can't speak for non-North American market Ford Rangers.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I picked up 2qts of Valvoline 789153, hopefully that is the correct stuff.
I would carefully read the label and compare it to what Valvoline's web site says and compare what specifications it says it meets compared the the specifications the motorcraft site list for the fluid. From my quick search using the brand and number you gave, CVT fluid came up a lot.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mercon LV is not backward compatible as per the link you provided. If the original spec was for a previous Mercon product, LV can not be used. As far as I know, 2019 was the first year that LV was specified as the proper fluid for the transfer case in a Ranger. I can't speak for non-North American market Ford Rangers.
Can you point me to the right place on the page? I'm not seeing it.

Like I said, I don't actually use LV either, but the page says "For use in all transfer cases", and then it lists a bunch of non-compatible fluids, but none of them are original Mercon or XL-12.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

XLTsplash
June Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals