• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Catalytic Converter

EVOrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 1983 Ranger has the original catalytic converter on it. The truck has something around 500,000 miles on it.

After all the years and miles....would I get some performance back if it were replaced?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
That is a tough one to answer. It all depends on how well all the other crap is working. You can pull the codes and see what it shows. Are you blowing black smoke when you start it after the engine has run a while? The valve guide seals are probably non existent if those are original miles on that engine, if your burning oil it will destroy the new cat in short order.
Do you need to pass smog if not the duraspark conversion is the fullproof way to bring it back to life. If you get alot of codes the outlook is grim if you need to pass smog, to qualify for the waiver you need to pay a certified mechanic a bunch of money and still have performance issues. The cat will do very little for that old feedback system and some parts are impossible to find.

yourdudeness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
come in car 54

with that many miles on it i would be very surprised if there where anything inside that cat,,,,,, a lot of them blow out or plug up ,, first is it glowing red when the engine running . how is the engine at highway speeds?????

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The issue with an old cat is if it gets clogged. There is some procedure I seen that involved drilling a hole before and after and measuring the pressure differential. If it is too high the cat is hurting thing. If it is okay the cat isn't hurting things.

of course after drilling and measuring, if good it needs to be plugged. I forget where I saw that, but it makes sense.

EVOrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The cat was partially clogged and parts of the inside were actually broken. I replaced it with an aftermarket one off the internet.

Before replacement, the truck was surging at highway speeds and had a very rough idle.

Much smoother now and it's like the truck got some life back into it. Also, at idle....the exhaust doesn't smell so gassy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals