• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Catalytic Converter

90mphsucks

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i need to replace my rear cats and was wondering where is the best place to buy the set , i went to midas and they want to charge me $830 for the cats $125 for a new 02 sencer , i read they use aftermarket parts that will make my check engine lite come on...i found the part on fords site for like $1000...was wondering if the magnaflow was a good aftermarket one that wont run a code? or should the one from midas be ok?or should i just buy from ford?

90mphsucks

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
come on guys i need some help i tried useing liquid steel to fix the crack but it dident hold and im running out of options..

90mphsucks

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
oh sorry its a 2001 4x4 4.0 ranger

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I bought one for my truck at auto zone for $89 and took it to a local muffeler shop he installed it for $40 that might be an option for you that is better than the 300% markup for at the most 1 1/2 hours labor for two cats. That also depends on the condition of your pipes.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you're just worried about getting your check engine light to go off you could get yourself a set of MIL (Malfunction indicator lights) Eliminators its something that plugs in in between your o2 sensor and the wiring harness.

I ran these on my mustang with NO CATS and never had a check engine light...
http://www.americanmuscle.com/stmilel.html

the above link is what i used on my mustang, you may be able to use them on a ranger, this im not sure.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They don't even look at the lights anymore if you have OBDII. As long as you have the factory systems your vehicle came with and no codes are thrown when they plug in the computer you're fine. You can find universal cats for cheap online and O2 sensors are also cheap as dirt online. I got my two for $55. Let google do the shopping for you :D

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

90mphsucks

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i havent had a lite come on yet my old cat is a double cat config for the end that attaches to the muffler theres a split rite inbetween the cats near the o2 sensor....anyone know if magnaflow is a good cat? i keep reading that i wont pass inspection if i change to a cheap product and that my lite may turn on....im tempted to get one from ford because i dont know which aftermarket cat is the best ....from what i read midas uses aftermarket cats from autozone and people say there check lits comes on after they swiched cats..i just dont want to run into trouble down the road...

90mphsucks

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
has anyone tried useing tigertape to fix a cracked pipe?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know tigertape but it sounds like a temp fix at best. The cheap cats are just that...they use less precious metals in them so they are cheaper but also don't last as long. I don't have personal experience but a good educated guess is that ANY new cat will work with out turning on the mil light, but for how long.....? IMO i'd buy the cheapest cat and get a shop to install them, you could do that two or three times for the price of the quote you got.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=catalytic converter
o2 sensor online = $50.00 or less.
http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/search?q=o2+sensor

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals