• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Catalytic Converter - good or no good ?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I haven't put it together yet but should have a torch available when I get ready to, I've thought of just washing it off, It'll need to be replaced either way but I'm simply hoping to buy a little time
A torch is a very useful tool. A propane torch is often enough to get the job done. I've used one in a pinch a time or two for stuck fasteners and steel wheels to break the rust lock.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Yeah I could see that if i had a dozen or so but one scraggly moron such as myself with a single cruddy old cat seems a bit over the top. I'd have signed a form if needed. Heck this yard actually scans you drivers license when you drop stuff off.

Years ago we had a "cat burglar" situation like that at a Nissan dealership. Apparently Nissan's back then had bolt right on both ends of the cats. They got about 50 in one night.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Photos of the inside of both, these are the plates that face each other. So, last plate on first cat, and first plate on second cat:

_20200221_173853.JPG

_20200221_173819.JPG

So, apparently I need catalytic converters

(Please bear in mind that I am not trying to break the law, and I know I need to put cats back on this heep)

Would I be legal to go to a single new CARB certified one, or will I still need to use two?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'm not sure there is enough room under the truck to run a proper sized single. I figure the single would have to be about the same size of both of your current ones to handle the exhaust volume properly. I think, it needs to be within a certain distance of the engine to operate properly as well.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not sure there is enough room under the truck to run a proper sized single. I figure the single would have to be about the same size of both of your current ones to handle the exhaust volume properly. I think, it needs to be within a certain distance of the engine to operate properly as well.
I remember @adsm08 talking about cats. IIRC the dual and triple cats were because the 2 cats each removed different parts of the emissions.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I remember @adsm08 talking about cats. IIRC the dual and triple cats were because the 2 cats each removed different parts of the emissions.
If his exhaust is setup like mine, there is a cat on each bank of cylinders. It appears he is only showing two, so I guessing that is the case. If so, they are removing the same emissions. Just one on the passenger side and one on the driver's side so as to take advantage of room an clearances under the truck.

As far as the extra cat on other trucks, you could very well be right. The left and right take care of some of the emissions and the third down stream cleans up the rest.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If his exhaust is setup like mine, there is a cat on each bank of cylinders. It appears he is only showing two, so I guessing that is the case. If so, they are removing the same emissions. Just one on the passenger side and one on the driver's side so as to take advantage of room an clearances under the truck.

As far as the extra cat on other trucks, you could very well be right. The left and right take care of some of the emissions and the third down stream cleans up the rest.
Post 33 "these are the plates that face each other. So, last plate on first cat, and first plate on second cat" so that would only describe the two bolted directly together

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
As I understand it, the first two cats are designed to reduce emissions at startup until the main cat(s) gets hot enough to do the job. The first two cats are closer to the heads and heat up quicker. My Ranger has four cats, one on each bank and two after the exhaust comes into one pipe. I guess the two main cats reduce different emissions.

I know cats have a limited life but they do last a long time when used with an engine that is healthy. Mine have over 247K miles on them and still pass CA emissions. I did replace the O2 sensors once.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Post 33 "these are the plates that face each other. So, last plate on first cat, and first plate on second cat" so that would only describe the two bolted directly together
Well, I then stand corrected.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I know cats have a limited life but they do last a long time when used with an engine that is healthy. Mine have over 247K miles on them and still pass CA emissions. I did replace the O2 sensors once.
The Mustang my son used to have once started with the horrible rotten egg smell. The two years he was in grad school it didn't get driven much, just started and moved occasionally around the house since he couldn't take it to school. I think running in choke mode too much fouled the cats. My mechanic got me some stuff called Cat-A-Clean or something, it cost about $27 for a quart to dump in the gas tank but it was worth a shot before I spent $800 on new cats. Seemed to work, the smell went away and it passed emissions.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Theres usually one on each bank, one downstream after the y pipe and usually the 4th thing that looks like another downstream cat is actually just a resonator. My 4 cylinder has a single upstream, single downstream, resonator, and then muffler.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
The Mustang my son used to have once started with the horrible rotten egg smell. The two years he was in grad school it didn't get driven much, just started and moved occasionally around the house since he couldn't take it to school. I think running in choke mode too much fouled the cats. My mechanic got me some stuff called Cat-A-Clean or something, it cost about $27 for a quart to dump in the gas tank but it was worth a shot before I spent $800 on new cats. Seemed to work, the smell went away and it passed emissions.
I used that stuff twice. Once to pass emissions with an old Pontiac and it worked. Did replace the cat a couple years later. I used it once as a precaution when I had an intermittent hard misfire on my Dodge Avenger and had to drive it a couple hours before I could change the quality MOPAR OE O2 sensor. Changed the sensor and dumped in a bottle of that afterwards just in case. Still have the Avenger and no problems other than Mopar stuff. Don't tell @PetroleumJunkie412 I said that... ;)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used that stuff twice. Once to pass emissions with an old Pontiac and it worked. Did replace the cat a couple years later. I used it once as a precaution when I had an intermittent hard misfire on my Dodge Avenger and had to drive it a couple hours before I could change the quality MOPAR OE O2 sensor. Changed the sensor and dumped in a bottle of that afterwards just in case. Still have the Avenger and no problems other than Mopar stuff. Don't tell @PetroleumJunkie412 I said that... ;)
Anyone look at the ingredients?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals