• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Catalytic Converter - good or no good ?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I saw a youtube where some guy was running lacquer thinner or some such in his gas for about a hundred miles on the turnpike to clean a cat, but in another part of it he also said to just soak it in soapy water an hour or so. I wasn't quite hip on running thinner in the gas but have considered soaking it a day or two in the soapy water and then back flushing with a garden hose.
If I could only get mine out, the first bolt I grabbed twisted off :/

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I saw a youtube where some guy was running lacquer thinner or some such in his gas for about a hundred miles on the turnpike to clean a cat, but in another part of it he also said to just soak it in soapy water an hour or so. I wasn't quite hip on running thinner in the gas but have considered soaking it a day or two in the soapy water and then back flushing with a garden hose.
If I could only get mine out, the first bolt I grabbed twisted off :/
Good ole scotty Kilmer, a wealth of idiocy...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If a cat is fouled it's just not going to have clean exhaust, there are some things that you can clean off of them but not from physical damage... I've seen it all at work... Main cause of cat failure is misfire, just having too much fuel isn't a bad thing, it actually cools things, the problem is when you have both air and fuel that was not burned in the engine, it burns in the cat... anything over 900C for more than a couple minutes will turn it into a melted wad of goo, or start to break down, sometimes they crack in the middle and get offset causing a restriction...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've got a problem taking mine off, the bolts are twisting off, leaving a stud insert on the old flange, can that stud be driven out?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've got a problem taking mine off, the bolts are twisting off, leaving a stud insert on the old flange, can that stud be driven out?
T
Yes.

trailmeisterjoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge 2wd
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
stk
Tire Size
235/75/r15
Just replaced all 3 of my blocked cats...…..Holy moly $$$
Joe

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Down here the scrappers won't take converters unless you're a "licensed mechanic". Not sure how they know. Guess I need to print out an "official" card from the interweb to carry. :rolleyes:

I know it's a common steal item. They do the same thing with large loads of copper. You need to be a licensed contractor for that stuff. I tried to get rid of an old one (small one too) from a 93 Grand Am last year with around 800lbs of other scrap and they wouldn't take it. What's this world coming too? Anyone else experience that?

BTW back to the thread topic, it looked alot like PJ's on the edges but also had a visible crack.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I had to use a tool like this to remove one of the broken studs. The other one was broken flush to the flange and I had to use a long drill bit to drill it out and use an easy out.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Down here the scrappers won't take converters unless you're a "licensed mechanic". Not sure how they know. Guess I need to print out an "official" card from the interweb to carry. :rolleyes:

I know it's a common steal item. They do the same thing with large loads of copper. You need to be a licensed contractor for that stuff. I tried to get rid of an old one (small one too) from a 93 Grand Am last year with around 800lbs of other scrap and they wouldn't take it. What's this world coming too? Anyone else experience that?

BTW back to the thread topic, it looked alot like PJ's on the edges but also had a visible crack.

When I worked in Trenton in a single night thieves made off with the cats of about 30 cars in the complex where our shop was. And on more than one occasion I've built stuff like air conditioner "cages" or man hole cover locks for the city to keep people from stealing crap. They will steal anything that's not nailed down, and if it is nailed down they will steal the nails too.

That's why its usually illegal for scrap yards to accept that kinda stuff. It's suppose to cut down on crime, but it doesn't seem to make any difference except to make it annoying for honest people to make some beer money...

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Yeah I could see that if i had a dozen or so but one scraggly moron such as myself with a single cruddy old cat seems a bit over the top. I'd have signed a form if needed. Heck this yard actually scans you drivers license when you drop stuff off.

Years ago we had a "cat burglar" situation like that at a Nissan dealership. Apparently Nissan's back then had bolt right on both ends of the cats. They got about 50 in one night.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I could see that if i had a dozen or so but one scraggly moron such as myself with a single cruddy old cat seems a bit over the top. I'd have signed a form if needed. Heck this yard actually scans you drivers license when you drop stuff off.

Years ago we had a "cat burglar" situation like that at a Nissan dealership. Apparently Nissan's back then had bolt right on both ends of the cats. They got about 50 in one night.
scrap metal forums used to have cat buyers, gold buyers too(mostly scrap computer boards ;) ) it's been awhile since I've even looked

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had to use a tool like this to remove one of the broken studs. The other one was broken flush to the flange and I had to use a long drill bit to drill it out and use an easy out.

I haven't put it together yet but should have a torch available when I get ready to, I've thought of just washing it off, It'll need to be replaced either way but I'm simply hoping to buy a little time

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

For a stud left is a head, with a threaded shank under the surface, this tool is wonderful. For Josh's situation I have found a hammer to be more useful.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

During the big recalls on the Windstars where many of them were grounded for months waiting for rear axle beams and subframes a large dealership near where I worked had about 20 or 30 sitting on the lot grounded waiting for parts. One night some guys came in with torches and snagged all the cats they could, got at least one from each van.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals