• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Carter YFA to Holley 5200 Swap

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Another update. I have done quite a bit of work since March. The carb I was using was a reman unit from Autoline. There was what looked like epoxy inside the primary throat that made me a little suspicious. I ended up visiting a guy nearby with a bunch of old cars in his yard and he let me look at his carb collection. I'll be darned if he didn't have a bunch of 5200s among the thousands of carbs he had collected. I was even more excited when I found one that was from a 2.3 Ford application! I deep cleaned it and bought a kit and put it together. Instantly it idled much better and I had more control. With the Autoline carb idle would be at 1200 rpm with the throttle plate completely closed resting in the bore. With ported vacuum, I was able to get idle down and manage the lean spot enough that it was driveable. But I had some weird idle stability issues. With this new carb I was able to use manifold vacuum for the distributor advance and have control over idle speed with the screw. Looking at the vacuum diagram, I believe it was intended to run with manifold vacuum to the distributor.

That brought back the lean spot with a vengeance. With the Autoline carb I tried removing the PCV without much noticeable results. On this carb I saw more positive results. With the PCV removed, Idle went way rich and I had to start over with tuning. I got it roughly tuned and the lean spot is completely gone. I can accelerate from stops and light cruise without any jerking, and puttering through town is no issue. That was impossible before. My neighbor suggested an aftermarket PCV valve often causes issues as they aren't calibrated right. The PCV valve I had was in a Motorcraft box when I ordered it, but it didn't look like the Motorcraft ones I looked up online. I wonder if someone switched them in the store so they could pay for the cheaper part but get the Motorcraft part. I've seen that with oil filters before. Anyway, I ordered a new Motorcraft PCV valve and will see how it goes after that's installed.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
If you block the PCV it will have to get much richer, as any PCV is constantly adding air to the intake.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals