• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Career crisis!!

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Little back story. I'm 36 years old and my wife and I have a 4 month old baby girl. She's a stay at home Mom. We still rent a home. I've mostly always worked on cars/trucks other than a couple years driving a forklift. I recently left the shop I worked at for the last 6 years. The new job seemed like a dream. More money, benefits, stock, insurance. Really seemed great. We can finally buy a home and I can really provide a good life for my family. But... I hate the new job with every fiber of my being after only a week. I've gotten so used to these Mom and Pop repair shops I feel out of place in this big company. Most places I've worked might have maybe five employees. You know everyone and their families. I'm giving it my best effort to get used to the new place and get into a routine but I can already tell this isn't the place for me. I've already started looking for another job. I could go back to my old job but there is no future there. My name isn't on the sign out front so I was pretty much as high up as I was going. I really used to enjoy working on cars but recently I haven't even been maintaining my own vehicles. Doing it all the time just took all the fun out of it. I worked in a factory for a short time about 15 years ago and the repetition was brutal. No windows, no breeze. Plus it was 12 hour shifts at night which is definitely not me. Where do I go from here? I've talked to a temp to hire agency but with my history they want me do something automotive or in a warehouse. I'd really like to try something else. What do you guys do? Do I need experience to do it? My wife got me to take an online career test and it said I'd be most happy as, wait for this, a SHOEMAKER! I don't know what that is and I don't really want to move to Asia. Maybe clogs are making a comeback? This new job is going to kill me mentally but for now it's what I have to do for my family. This job change was a mistake and I'll be the first to admit I messed up but I'm open to suggestions on how to correct it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I went from turning a wrench... to more of an engineering position at GM. It was a contract position but it was not for flat rate. I also used my brains more then the brawn. But at any place that big... there are politics. But I did well there for many years... then decided to buy a pizzeria. Talk about hard work... but in the end it paid off really well. That may not be an option for you however,

I have several friends in the skilled trades... If I was younger and was faced with the same situation... I would probably be looking into HVAC or electrical work. The trades are really hurting for decent hard working people. Get in with the right company and I think you could do fairly well for yourself.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
What do you really like doing? What activity makes you happy? What are you passionate about? Really passionate.

If you don't like what you're doing, you will feel like this, no matter what the job is. Follow your passion. Then you'll be much happier. Maybe not completely. Nothing is perfect.

What kind of schooling and training do you have? You mention working on cars. Maybe some type of maintenance will work. You might be able to get into an industrial maintenance position, working on machinery. It will be a bit different from automotive work. But similar. One issue with that is that the junior people normally work the night shifts.

Give the whole thing a lot of thought. Stay where you are until you have a firm grasp on where you want to be or what direction you want your career to take. There may be several steps to this journey.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I second what gump suggested. Some skilled trade.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First, if you hate the place right away, then you are doing the right thing to look for a change. However, as was already mentioned, don't just jump at the first opportunity that comes along - take your time and think it through carefully - go to a new job for the opportunity there, not to escape the current situation.

When it comes to changing careers, most people nowadays will change careers 4-6 times throughout their life. If your current resources (temp agency etc.) won't help you into a new arena, then find another that will. There are a ton of skilled trade positions that are more varied than being an automotive technician. For example a computer repair guy will typically go to hundreds of different companies to repair or upgrade their computers. An a/c repair guy will go all over to different buildings to repair a/c units. Think through whether you want to go to the same place every day and see the same people and the same walls, or if you want to go to a new place each day. There is no "right" answer to that, but some choices will be way better for you than others. Only you can decide what is the best fit. Then, if you need some training to enter a new field, find a way to do it. There are all kinds of resources online that can help you get your "basic training" to get your foot in the door. Best wishes!!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I know a few hvac guys, theyre all doing well.

I've had many different jobs, and was in my late 30s when I landed my current and best job.

Previously, I worked in real estate and mortgage banking, and also sales. I hated it.

Now I am a glorified Hollywood carpenter and welder, doing construction, building film sets and stages for movies and tv shows. Its awesome.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
In my experience, most jobs that pay excessively well, you're going to live there. I went in to industrial maintenance because of the super high wages in my area, but factories expect you to live there and sometimes be on call, but the wages are usually $10 to $20 higher per hour than all other comparable manufacturing jobs in this area. I'm now in tool repair for the national electrical grid and gas industry repair/installation sector, and it doesn't pay nearly as well, but I took it as a temporary job after General Electric closed the plant on us. It pays well enough that I can be picky about applying for jobs, but not well enough for me to stay.. I need that $25/hr minimum back like I made at GE. I get enough brand new but damaged Stihl chainsaws and polesaws for free that it ups my wages a small amount just reselling them after work throws them away.

I'll do any work for anything over $25/hr even if I don't particularly like it, but industrial maintenance education was paid fpr by GE both while working and after they shut down. It also seemed like a natural fit for me since I can fix anything known to man. When you grow up poor on a farm, you learn to fix things yourself out of necessity...

If I had it to do all over again, I'd get in to 3D modeling. It turns out I was very talented at it naturally. The instructors were amazed with me once I got the basics down. The pay in this area isn't great doing it, but it's one of those jobs you can do remotely for certain companies.. There's also contract work.. I LOVED doing it while in school. Inventor is an amazing piece of software. 2D CAD wasn't as much fun, and 3D CAD was just kind of herky jerky..

If you can get in to doing what you love then great, but if not, then look for whatever you're willing to get used to doing for much higher wages and just live with it. Just keep focusing on those huge paychecks.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Id give it more than a week, I was at dunkin donuts for about 2 months during a layoff, I was very stressed at first but came to love it, only went back to my other job because wages are $4 more/hr. Kind of wish I hadnt got called back in some ways. That being said, I know what you mean about not maintaining your own vehicles. I worked at a family-owned boat dealership right out of high school for 7 years, changing my own oil seemed like I was “at work”. Try something online like “indeed”. List your skill sets and see what pops up for you, there might be jobs available to you nearby that fit you better that youre unaware of.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
Do what you love to do until it's not fun anymore.
I had a passion for woodworking when I was in Jr. High school
When I was 15 I started working in the summer learning how to build stairs and do handrails. Not as easy as it seems, I quit and went into custom cabinets and kitchen and bath design for about 10 years then moved into a market that I couldn't make enough money to support my family.
Went back to stairs and had an incredible 20 years doing what I loved to do. Actually went back and taught my mentor a lot of new things.
But then life changed and it wasn't fun anymore. Changed career and life situation 10 years ago and now all I can think about is wood working again but don't have time for it. Thank God I kept all the tools!
Moral of the story is find something you are passionate about and try to turn it into a career, but always remember that you and family comes first!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I thought I wanted to be in IT and possibly open up my own computer repair place when I started college... then I spent a couple years actually working for a selfish, slave driving idiot and being blamed for printers not working and slow internet. I quit and worked for OfficeMax for a couple years - I kicked ass at that job and got promoted to printing department manager after only a year and at 21 years old. But, the corporate culture was a real grind and I just constantly felt like I loved the work but hated the job. I quit that too and really had no plan except maybe fix lawnmowers or something.

On a whim I applied for another tech job the week I put my notice in at OfficeMax, interviewed, got it and started the following Monday. Been there for almost 14 years now and was promoted to supervisor of my division effective July 1st this year. We are part of a 500+ employee nonprofit but my division is only 12 people so it feels pretty homey and they have always been good to me. It's weird how those moments of frustration like my last weeks at my previous jobs have always led to something better.

Sounds like you need a change - what about starting your own business? Maybe just moonlight on the side for a while till you get established?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Yeah, work for yourself.

Guy I know worked/works for himself out of his home garage and makes huge money. Like.. owning and driving an r8, skyline, and nsx all at the same time money.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've been self employed a couple times in my life... it has it's upsides for sure. But... it really all falls on your shoulders. Also... maybe depending on where you're at... the taxes and overhead are absolutely brutal.

Seems everything now days is geared towards BIG business... you really get raked over the coals as a small business.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
You want to think about how you ended up in a job you hate so quickly. Why did you take it in the first place? You need to figure out what kind of work, and what kind of organization and people you like to be around. Stick to where you are until you figure it out, employers don't like to see people hopping from one thing to the next, without a clear path. My 2 cents anyway, I am 61 in my 10th job, changed regularly but it always made sense. P.s most people do well in jobs they are very good at. Sounds kind of silly but it's a virtuous cycle.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
First off I've been doing electrical work since I was 18. I'm now 46. Skilled labor in the field in my area has been taken over by illegal immigrants. Fortunately I started wiring tour buses in 98. I'm at a small shop and work for a guy I call family. He was shop foreman at the first shop I started at in 98. I too know that I'm as far up the ladder as I will ever be. I've accepted this and happy to be that. If I had it to do again I'd get my CDL. There are jobs all over my area for local drivers. They get great pay and are at home every night. I could make way more money if I started installing solar but since I have a wife and 2 kids travelving is out of the question. Good luck and hang in there. I believe everything happens for a reason and the good lord has a plan for us all.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
1) I'd say try to learn to like your current job. Benefits and a good steady paycheck are nice.
2) Places like UPS and utility companies with fleets of vehicles often have their own mechanics and you get the same benefits and pension as everyone else.
I owned a nationally franchised cleaning company for 21 years. Was my dad's idea. I never liked it much and made a decent buck in 2 years out of 21. It cost me a very expensive divorce also. But hey, my dad got to introduce me to people as "My son who owns XYZ Company", like that made me someone important. Recession beginning in 2008 was bad for business. In 2011 I had shoulder surgery that didn't go well when I got a bad infection from the hospital that left me housebound for 5 months on IV's, home care nurses, all that stuff. Started researching new careers and came up with funeral director. Online school took two years, then a year of internship. What I didn't figure was that Pittsburgh has a large oversupply of funeral homes so as a result it's rare that anyone needs help and it took me a year and a half to find a full-time job. But my experience with the cleaning business taught me that it's better to be in a line of work where you need to be licensed or certified and not everyone can do. Case in point, for half of last year when the whole city was laid off, I still had a job and a paycheck. I don't always like working for a corporate funeral home but I zip my lip and remind myself that right now I'm making the most money I ever have in my life. Prior to this I briefly worked at a family-owned funeral home where I was the only employee who wasn't family and it didn't work out so well.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals